I should have asked the experts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first of all this post was during last year

second, you don't need sealer when using a Fel-pro gasket kit, unless you know that you have a crack or warpage.

i use Fel-pro all the time, never had a problem

just don't over torque the valve cover bolts, 44 - 80 INCH POUNDS

Comment

Hi mechanicaldj,

Originally posted by mechanicaldj
      first of all this post was during last year
      As a message board Admin, myself I know that if I had begun a whole new thread on "valve cover leaks" it would have been less pertinent to the topic.

second, you don't need sealer when using a Fel-pro gasket kit, unless you know that you have a crack or warpage.

Right on, thanks. I wonder what rotinaj13 meant when he posted:
      You DO need sealent. Those valve cover design sucks and they leak like hell! use permatex ultra black will seal it first time every time!
      Steve
      '92 White "L"with manual trany, no a/c, and 95,500 Miles (as of 7/06/08 - bought'r new in '92)

My 'lil Ford ground unit reponds best to the name "Fred" (Native American shaman said Fred has actually - incredibly - achieved self-awareness!)

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicaldj

That's good to hear... I plan on replacing mine this weekend. Guess I best get a torque wrench!

Comment

Originally posted by taxcider
          That's good to hear... I plan on replacing mine this weekend. Guess I best get a torque wrench!
          Hey, all right - another valve cover safari guy.

Something I just saw in the Chilton Manual for all 1992 domestic cars is that you have to FIRST remove the upper timing belt cover (one hell of an operation, by the looks of Chilton's description) - on the stock 1.3L Festiva engine - in order to remove the valve cover.

Is this true? God I hope not - hopefully, it's just be more Chilton C.Y.A. B.S.

I do see that there are two bolts attaching the valve cover to the upper timing belt cover. BUT - it looks as if you can just remove those two bolts and wiggle the valve cover away, without removing the timing belt cover.

Is this true? anyone?

Steve
          '92 White "L"with manual trany, no a/c, and 95,500 Miles (as of 7/06/08 - bought'r new in '92)

My 'lil Ford ground unit reponds best to the name "Fred" (Native American shaman said Fred has actually - incredibly - achieved self-awareness!)

Comment

Originally posted by Festeve
            I do see that there are two bolts attaching the valve cover to the upper timing belt cover. BUT - it looks as if you can just remove those two bolts and wiggle the valve cover away, without removing the timing belt cover.

Is this true? anyone?

Steve
            You don't have to remove the cover. The 2 bolts are all you need to remove.

Regards,

Tim
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Hi Tim,

Originally posted by Tim
              You don't have to remove the cover. The 2 bolts are all you need to remove.
              Yeah! Happy Steve.

Steve

Comment

I've taken my valve cover off about 5 times now and reused the same gasket with no leaks and no RTV on it.
                www.dantheoilman.com
                AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Hi darkdan,

Originally posted by darkdan
                  I've taken my valve cover off about 5 times now and reused the same gasket with no leaks and no RTV on it.
                  Wow, that's great.

How many miles on your valve cover gasket? Mine is the original with 84K miles + 13 1/2 years of daily heating and cooling.

Could Auto-rx save my valve cover gasket from having to be changed? It is only leaking slightly - at high temperature load.

Also - Auto-rx sounds a lot like Rislone.

Given that Auto-rx appears to cost about five times as much per-volume - in what specific ways is Auto-rx better than Rislone?

Thanks -

Steve

Comment

Auto-rx will not help your valve cover gasket. Front/rear main, valve stem seals....usually. Gaskets....nope.

Rislone crankcase cleaner is napthenic pale oil solvent.

So it's like pouring a quart of kerosene into your crankcase.

Rislone stop leak or smoke or whatever is nothing more then an oil thickener.

Auto-rx is made of organic esters which are wonderful little cleaners and will help out your seals by cleaning them and restoring oil flow to them.
                    www.dantheoilman.com
                    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
                    X