Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump?

Hey everyone,

I have a 97 Festi (hope its not too new for the board) and have recently been having problems starting up. I had one problem where the car seem liked it was completely dead (as in flat battery) but I checked the battery and it wasnt that, also it was spotty so sometimes it would start fine, other times it wouldnt regardless of weather the engine was warm or not. So I got a second hand starter motor and changed it which fixed the prob. (I think the solenoid was sticking or close to being stuffed)

However now the car still has problems starting. It seems to be a different problem though as the starter motor just keeps turning over and over without the engine actually igniting. This again is a random thing, doesnt seem to matter if the engine is cold or hot. Since this has started I have been paying close attention to all the noises my little car makes prior to starting, when it starts normally you can here a click from the starter motor, followed by a little whirring hum coming from the rear of the car and then starts no probs. When it doesnt start you get the click from the starter motor but no hum from the back of the car. Also recently as I've been driving along the car stutters a little bit and goes through spurts of no power like it has no fuel.

All this leads me to believe that it is a problematic fuel pump, but I wanted to ask the expert panel in this forum. I have some mechanical knowledge, and I believe the fuel pump is located under the rear passenger seats in the back which is where I hear the hum coming from. What do you guys think? Also how hard would it be to change? If im right I think you just remove the back seats and there should be an access panel to allow you to look at the fuel pump.

I can get a second hand one from a local wreckers for $44.- Australian.

Yes thats right Im a Skip.

Id be most appreciative of any comments or feedback you would be able to offer.

Its also done a wierd thing where sometimes it has a puff of bluish smoke on startup, which I know is a sign of my rings going but its stopped doing that recently, and I check the oil which has remained constant. I think it has a small oil leak in the rocker cover, but havnt had time to have a proper look.

Cheers in advance!

Astricki

cant help you there....festys were discontinued in 93 here in the US....have no clue about where your at
    90 L FI..second B3
    90 L Parts car
    Jay

Comment

agreed...

Comment

The blue smoke at startup (only) is a valve guide issue ... I would ignore it as it is a minor concern (synthetic oil may cure it if the problem has to do with deposits keeping the seals from seating fully on the stems) ... I do not know if your car is carb'd or fuel injected ,, Festy's were discontinued here in 1993 ,, I know current 2005 Festy's in the Philippines are carb'd ... your assumption that this is a fuel issue would seem to be correct based on your observations... fuel pumps tend to run fine until they quit , they can be intermittent but that isn't the norm... this may be a fuel pump relay, a bad ground wire or possibly a problem with a safety switch we have on our cars that cuts the fuel off in case of an impact.

The next time you have a no start I'd check for voltage at the pump with the key on...

Comment

Originally posted by gomer
          The blue smoke at startup (only) is a valve guide issue ... I would ignore it as it is a minor concern (synthetic oil may cure it if the problem has to do with deposits keeping the seals from seating fully on the stems) ... I do not know if your car is carb'd or fuel injected ,, Festy's were discontinued here in 1993 ,, I know current 2005 Festy's in the Philippines are carb'd ... your assumption that this is a fuel issue would seem to be correct based on your observations... fuel pumps tend to run fine until they quit , they can be intermittent but that isn't the norm... this may be a fuel pump relay, a bad ground wire or possibly a problem with a safety switch we have on our cars that cuts the fuel off in case of an impact.

The next time you have a no start I'd check for voltage at the pump with the key on...
          If it's carbed then more than likely it has a mechanical fuel pump. Which might have a hole in the diahpram so it isn't putting out enough fuel. As for the smoke uncle fester smokes on startup but lessens off when running, only way you know it is burning oil is if your behind him! and he replaced the valve guides. So valve guides, or piston ring blowby...

Comment

have you tried the fuel filter?

Comment

He is Australian. Therefore he would have what we call an aspire. The initial humming noise is the fuel pump. As to how to get it out, I can't tell you for sure but it might have a panel under the seat or you may have to drop the tank. But it sounds like it is your pump. Replace the screen and the fuel filter at the same time you replace the pump.
              The Festiva Store
              Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid
                He is Australian. Therefore he would have what we call an aspire. The initial humming noise is the fuel pump. As to how to get it out, I can't tell you for sure but it might have a panel under the seat or you may have to drop the tank. But it sounds like it is your pump. Replace the screen and the fuel filter at the same time you replace the pump.
                wow quick to sugest pain in the rear things when some one else is doing the wrenching. Quick way to find out go rent a fuel preasure guage, and watch it as u drive in a non-populated area! or start with the simple things then go to the pain in the ass removing the rear seat and fuel pump. B/c most of the time you have to remove the side plastic to pull the carpet up enough to get to the plate.

Comment

I suggest that the pump was bad because he said it would not start when the pump did not come on. Sooooo, it is either the pump or wiring. I would not suggest a mechanical fuel pressure gauge that actually brings fuel into the cabin while your driving. Though checking the fuel pressure is not a bad idea. Though I'm kind of at a loss as to how checking the pressure would help, when he mentioned that it would not start when the pump did not come on. The pump should come on for a couple of seconds ever time you turn the key to the on position.
                  The Festiva Store

Comment

I'd plug it into the battery before pulling it. With out looking at my aspire I can't give you to much more. In the festiva's there is a split in the carpet under the back seat. Fold ur back seat forward, and see if you see it, the lift it and see if you see the plate with the wires running in. If you see that then you cansplice and test with a battery. if nothing then have fun ripping your interior apart.... My interior still hasn't been put back together from this, but then again I have to get my float replaced still...

Comment

Pump

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the feedback and tips, it is a fuel injected car, interesting that its called an aspire now it makes more sense when I read other posts regarding them!

I took out my rear seat the yesterday which was quite straight forward, and then there was a small steel access panel which I took off and bingo i was looking at the top of my fuel pump unit. However the top of it was different to the one I got from the wrecks as it was square with rounded edges, unlike the one I was given which was round. Im betting the idiots gave me a fuel pump for the smaller engine model, and not for the 1.5 litre engine that mine has. So now I have to wait for them to open so I can complain (a little not too much lest they give me a crappy part), rather frustrating though as I couldnt see if that was the problem. The wiring looks fine cant see any rust, but I should have checked problem was I didnt have a metre.

Anyway will keep you posted, and thanks again for the help.

By the way what would you recommend as the best method of removal? I spoke to a friend of mine and he mentioned I should be quite care-full as it is most likely under a fair amount of pressure being fuel injected. Also how can I make sure there is no air in the fuel line as surely this would not be very good for the engine? I cannot think of a way to stop air getting in even if I clamp the fuel lines before I remove the old pump.
                      Any suggestions?

Thanks!
                      Astricki

Comment

I wouldn't worry about air in the lines, I never have. However the haynes manual should tell you how to bleed it. There is a schrader valve on the fuel line. Jump the test conector and push on the valve. If it is any thing like the us model unscrew the tiny ass screws, and lift. the tiny screws are a pain in the ass as well.

Comment

ohh as far as the preasure not really, just let it sit a bit so the preasure bleeds off a bit. you will have some fuel loss but not much.

Comment

Disconnect the electrical to the fuel pump and then crank the motor over to get rid of the fuel pressure.
                            The Festiva Store

Comment

that works to. It should bleed off from sitting though

Comment

Working...
                              X