a/c help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c help

i find that my a/c comes on and cools on the very low setting, but when i turn the knob up, it seems to shut off and the light goes off. something electrical would you say, or what else might it be. i havent looked at the wires to see if they all look ok. and since im a vast empty wasteland of knowledge regarding cars interworkings, i will be forced to seek professional help at some point. so any ideas you have on the possible causes would be appreciated.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Is it cold when you have it on low? Does the fan shut off when you turn it up? The fan may be bad or it may need a recharge. Or both.
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

yeah its cold on the lowest setting but when i turn it up the compressor seems to kick off. the fan stays on, just blows air, and the light goes off also when i turn it up, its like its just telling it to shut back off. thanks for the reply!!

Comment

have you checked the wire connections directly behind the switch?

could be physical force from the blower switch to the a/c switch harness

I am the original

Comment

no i havent done any checking yet, but will do that. i live in the country and since i get the mouse visitor now and then, it could be just that. darn things, i tried the dryer sheets in the car, didnt help. terrible to have to leave a mouse trap in your car. i bloody Hate this place!
          Last edited by Pu241; 07-01-2008, 06:27 AM. Reason: language

Comment

i never had the a/c fixed or bothered with it. but i recently had a garage take a look at it. and the guy looked at it quickly without any testing and said he thought it was the switch. so i took the fan switch off the other one and it was no different. then i took the a/c button off and switched those, cuz it seems like its some kind of short. and it wasnt that either. at first it was cooling on the very low fan speed, now it doesnt do that. when i turned the fan from recirculate to in the middle or on the fresh air side, it began coming out of the vents on low. now its not doing that. so i dont know what else to do. when you turn the a/c on the light comes on, on the first fan setting, but nothing is coming out now, i hear the fan go on, then when i turn it up a notch the light goes out and the compressor kicks off. the pple in this hick town dont know anything about a/c's i guess. but i sure wonder what is the problem. do you have any ideas now, based on what ive tried that didnt work? so few pple chimed in with advice last time, im sure others have ideas too.

Comment

there's not much to an A/C system. unfortunately, it has been many years since i did my training and now i rely on my local electrician to repair those sort of things. personally, i would have the system re-gassed to start with. leave the car in the shop for a day or two and see if they can detect any leaks... take it from there
              1977 Ford LTD 5.8L

Comment

Auto, manual, efi, carbed, dealer add on, factory air, year ??????
                sigpic
                The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

sorry, thought you remembered. its the 88lx 5 speed, carbed, factory a/c

Comment

Since youve replace both the blower and a/c switch and that didnt help other cause could be:

Low pressure in system
                    a/c switch relay malfunctioning
                    Thermo switch malfunctioning

Im not a a/c tech, just suggestions
                    sigpic
                    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

With the A/C off does the fan in the cabin still work.... i.e 1, 2, 3 ,4 if it fails to work then i would say the fan resister is broken and needs to be replaced.....normally located near the fan....Should have a rectangle plug with four wires....it's been a while since ive worked on one but it should have one....

will have a look in my service manual when i get to work today.....

Craig....
                      1993 Ford Festiva
                      Under going Surgery

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3097069

Comment

Working...
                      X