Horn not working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn not working?

I just noticed the horn in the car isn't working. I asked my girlfriend about it and she said it stopped working a few months ago after hitting a deer.

Everythings still intact and wired up fine but I'm not getting any sound at all from the horn.

Is it time for a new horn or can this one be brought back to life?

They only cost a few dollars at the parts store. Id just get a new one.
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Did you double check the horn fuse in the fuse box? The collision with the deer may have caused it to blow.
      1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
      2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

which is the horn fuse again?

Comment

I Just checked all the fuses, none of which are blown. I guess it is the horn then. Are there any easier ways to get it off? My arms are getting pretty cut up try to undo that stinking horn bracket bolt from underneath the bumper.

Comment

Are you getting a 'click' from the horn relay when you press the button? If so, replace horn. If not, replace realy...and probably horn as well.

Just something else to check if you haven't.

Mine did the same thing recently. It just stopped working. Actually I would blow the horn quickly because it always made me laugh. and I guess it got fed up with that and just quit. haha.

I put in a 138 decibel train horn and just tapped the current + for the horn and grounded the new horn. I left the dead horn in place because I'd have to take the bumper off to get at it.
            1989 Ford Festiva rollin on 13s
            1991 Ford Festiva B6T in the works
            1994 Mazda RX7/LS1 ( 438/490 ) Mustang Dyno "The Heart Breaker"
            - 0 to 103 MPH in 660' / 136 MPH in 1320'
            2001 F250 4" lift on 35s
            2005 Subaru STi ( 471/448 )
            - 0 to 92 MPH in 660' / 120 MPH in 1320'

Comment

yeah, it just started clicking. I finally got it out. That bolt is in one hell of a place to get at without the bumper off. I tested it with jumper cables and nothing.... it was pretty rusty but thats no suprise.

I'll be picking up a new horn and mounting it on either the firewall or rad support.

Thanks.

Comment

There's an unused bolt hole in the passenger's side fender. That's where I mounted my replacement.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I picked up a new horn this morning and dug the wire out from below the bumper. Extended the wire and mounted it on the firewall. There was a hole that the old 10mm bolt fit right into.

Horn is now alot louder and more noticable and in a spot that wont be subjected to as much water, sand, salt and snow. and if anything happens it's easy to get at.

Comment

Working...
                  X