Aspire With Lousy Gas Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire With Lousy Gas Mileage

I have a 96 Aspire, automatic with A/C. Getting only about 24 MPG. Tires are inflated; air cleaner OK. Any suggestions on how to get better mileage? Thanks.

First thing I am going to replace on my 92 Festy is the O2 sensor, just a thought. I am getting that code indication and I know from my other vehicles that will make a difference if it is bad. I believe you have two, one before and one past the cat, someone please correct me if I am wrong. And maybe see if there are any stored codes for clues?
    Remember "I" before "E", except as in Budweiser.

Comment

my G/F has the same thing; solution: remove sparkplugs and inject SeaFoam, replace plugs and let sit overnight (at least 8 hrs). Blow the stuff out and reinsert the plugs. run car normaly. milage will improve within a tank. also I've found that STP fuel treatment bumps the milage by 3-4 MPG, especially when used with NON-ethanol fuel.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

How is the performance. Does every thing seem OK except the milage?
        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          my G/F has the same thing; solution: remove sparkplugs and inject SeaFoam, replace plugs and let sit overnight (at least 8 hrs). Blow the stuff out and reinsert the plugs. run car normaly. milage will improve within a tank. also I've found that STP fuel treatment bumps the milage by 3-4 MPG, especially when used with NON-ethanol fuel.
          How much is the STP? If you are talking about putting in your Festy....if you are getting 40 or close.....if it cost more then a gallon of gas then you are wasting your money.If it is around the same price then you are breaking even......I wouldn't bother unless it helps it run better.

If you are talking about the aspire....how big are the tanks on those?
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

aspire tanks and festiva tanks i read were the same.
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

i can get a 3 pack of STP for $3, so it's worth it for me

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

If the engine is running that bad it should not pass government emissions inspection?

I'd jack up each wheel and check that they are turning freely.
                It could be something mechanical like grabbing brakes (how's the steering?) or worn bearings (any noise?).

Does the hand brake release properly? The linkage outside the back wheels can get rusty and stick.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Everything else is ok. Just bad mileage.

Comment

^^Bad t'stat....stuck open...the engine never reaches proper operaing temp.
                    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

^^ a common issue for sure, but that didnt fix the milage on my G/Fs aspire. i'm betting on sticking rings, check your compression (engine at opperating temp)

Comment

Working...
                      X