speedometer and tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedometer and tach

What is the trick to take out the tach in a festiva, my car doesnt have one, but I found one in a junk yard for $25 but I have to go and pull it myself, how is it that you take one out?
    -Josh R

Dissconnect the speedometer cable at the trans so it will pull out far enough to dissconnect the plugs from the gauge.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

If you're talking about a factory festiva tach then just remove the bezel (3 screws) then remove the screws on the cluster (4 I believe) then reach behind and remove the two large round electrical connectors and the speedo cable. You might have to disconnect the speedo cable at the tranny first if you can't work your hand back in behind or from under the dash to disconnect it at the cluster. Tools needed: phillips screw driver for inside and a wrench (can't remember what size, a crexcent or pliers will probably work) for the connection at the tranny.

Comment

If I wasn't so wordy I'd have beat your post 25hp. :lol:

Comment

There are actually 5 screws for the bezel - Three up top and two on the bottom. then you have to press down on the bezel a little from the top to get it to release from the dash. (it has little locking tabs at the top (3 total) that snap into the dash - They are roughly above where the screws are located.
          Do the junkyard one first, in case you break it.
          Not a difficult one to get out - good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by roycehof View Post
            There are actually 5 screws for the bezel - Three up top and two on the bottom.
            oops ops: I forgot about the 2 on the bottom. Your right, 5 screws.

Comment

to make it easier on yourself, and if you don't need the speedo cable, just cut it instead of removing it from the tranny. One snip and you're done.
              If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
              Mark S.

Comment

^ The one at the junkyard he means ^

sometimes you have to state the obvious
                Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                - Unknown
                I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                - Bumper Sticker

Comment

^^lol

Comment

Originally posted by deathegg View Post
                    to make it easier on yourself, and if you don't need the speedo cable, just cut it instead of removing it from the tranny. One snip and you're done.
                    That's just wrong!
                    It's not that difficult to either undo the speedo at the tranny or reach up under the dash and disconnect the instrument cluster connections and speedo while your at it!

Besides which he, you, or someone else may well need that cable.

If it's in the JY get the cable as well.
                    You could sell it and conceivably recoup some of your cost on the cluster.
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Get the cable. There is always someone who will need it bad.
                      The wife and I are attending this meet. Come convoy with us.Come to the 1st annual "Sunshine Meet" March 20th 2010. Details in the thread below.
                      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...292#post295292

www.festivameets.com

Festiva Convoy video link [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyFYJcFBc_g[/urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANbkG...eature=related

3rd Annual Festiva Madness. The largest Festiva Meet ever held of owners and their cars 2009 Festiva Madness link with pictures. 51 Festivas & 4 Aspires from eight states attended.

FM3 short 5 minute clip
                      Link to a short 5 minute clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFyy-zxgV5A

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24695
                      link to 100s of meets pictures and short video clips.http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/festivameets/
                      4th Annual Festiva Madness meet will be held Oct 2, 2010 in Raleigh, NC
                      Cell is 919-271-5190 deanraleighnc@cs.com

Comment

LIKE MEE Ill Give ya 5 bucks and shipping to 42025 for it. Mine keeps Breaking i dunno if its the speedo gear or the gearing in the cluster itself...
                        "There's no half singing in the shower, your either a rockstar or an opera diva"

88' L (Daily Driver) 88' LX EMERGENSTEVIA

Comment

well, I wish I could of got that tach, my dad didn't bring me back until about a month ago, and the said that they got rid of it, and crushed all of there festivas
                          -Josh R

Comment

I am installing a tach and I can't seem to get the speedo cable to reach all the way back down to the trans. Is there some sort of trick to getting it to come out more, it seems that it is too far to the right to go far enough down the hole in the back of the dash.
                            Steve GT

Comment

you have to reroute it around the support in there,,,then there should be no issues.
                              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                              89L Silver EFI auto
                              91GL Green Auto DD
                              There ain't no rest for the wicked
                              until we close our eyes for good.
                              I will sleep when I die!
                              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
                              X