Going from 5spd to AT? *****HELP****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going from 5spd to AT? *****HELP****

I have a 89 LX with an auto trans. I am placing a motor from a 1993 5spd in it. as I have them both out in the hoist they turn freely and seem fine.
    When I lower the pair into the car and bolt them in they will not move????? Starter just clunks and you can't turn the motor over with a pry bar? I take them back out and they spin fine???

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help in advance. You guys are great help.

Mark
    Email me at: parts@myfestiva.net
    Call me at : 731-707-2164

When you have it out on the hoist do you have the starter bolted in? When you lower them into the car do you then install the starter? Will the motor turn over (by hand or under power) while it's on the hoist with the starter bolted in? (thinking the starter may be locked up).
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Brian.

I have everything in place and bolted together on the stand when I checked it and the starter was in it also, It turns freely and then?????????? I lower it in and bolt the motor mounts in and it seems locked up! I have pulled it out twice now for this and I am stumped!

Comment

Install motor/trans/starter. If locked up. Remove starter. If still locked up. Something wrong with motor/trans. If not locked up. Something wrong with starter or wiring.

David

Comment

Is the trans housing evenly bolted to the block? No gaps?
          If they are not...quite possible for the crank to spin of of the car then be bound by the weight when installed in the car.
          Also..pull the plugs after the engine has been installed. With them out, the engige should turn easily with a wrench/ratchet from the front sheave. If you can not turn it by hand...don't expect the starter.
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Are you useng the same starter? The are different from auto to manual.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

I was using the starter from the AT, it seems to be the problem. I removed the starter and it turns (Motor). I check the starter and I think the shaft is to long on the starter I have so I shim the starter and it starts but I have some kind of noise still in the area of the bell housing. Does anyone think more shims will help?

Comment

Auto and manual starters are not interchangable. They spin different directions.
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

Working...
                X