alternator/headlight problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator/headlight problems

93 Festiva manual. The other day I noticed the alt light on the dash on the way home. I shut all the electrical down and it went off. Drove home went to parts store and they hooked up there tester and said the alt was testing bad. I replaced alternator and belt. Everything works but the alt light is still on and the headlights won't turn on. Everything else electrical works. Any ideas? Is there fuse for the headlights? I replaced the 30 amp fusible link fuse just for kicks but no difference. Thanks

is your battery running down?

I'd check the fuseable links first, then for a short, then an open ground.

Comment

You either have a short or a disconnected wire. Make sure the battery is not sliding around on the battery tray. If the battery can slide backwards it can hit a bundle of wires that goes to the fusible links and short them on the metal bracket that supports the coil. The charging light will come on when the headlight fusible link is blown. Also the headlights will not come on.
      The Festiva Store
      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

The parts store also tested the battery and they said it tested good. Is the fusible link that thing halfway between the batt and firewall with a 30 amp fuse in between 2 loops of brown wires? And the battery is not sliding around it is locked in tight. Thanks for replying.

Comment

the loops of wire are the fuseable links. wiggle them around, or just pull them out and replace them.

Comment

There should be three fusible links in there. One is headlight, one is main, and the other, I don't know. Grab a regular piece of wire, with your car off, and put in there in place of your fusible link and then see if your headlight work. Do this only briefly because you may have a short and we are checking to see if the fusible link is not blown. If the headlights still do not come on, you have an open circuit and need to find out where there is a disconnected wire. If the headlight do come on you have a short.
            The Festiva Store
            Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

I think the third loop is just for fuel cars with AC. although I think it would also be there for EFI cars.

Comment

I've got efi and ac. I've got 2 brown loops with a 30amp fuse in between.

Comment

Working...
                X