dieing at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dieing at idle

i have a 93 gl with 184,000 miles... it just started dieing when id come to a stop while in gear but when in park or nutral it was fine so i took it to the shop and they said that it was probably the mass air flow sensor but it would cost like 4 or 5 hundred dollars so i went and bought one myself for like $100 and installed it but no improvment i also got new plugs and still no improvement... any one have any ideas on whats causing this? any help would be greatly appreciated also prier to this issue i replaced the temp sen. and the o2 sen.
    93 GL Auto black 183,000 miles
    93 astro maroon 210,000 miles
    90 dakota 5 spd blue 212,000
    02 acura tl type S blue 121,000
    05 Tahoe Z71 BLK 89,000

maybe you need a new dashpot or you can try to adjust it
    1992 black GL
    1991 white GL
    1991 blue L parts car
    1992 blue L from Japan R.H.D.
    1948 ford conv. hot rod

Comment

whats a dashpot?
      05 Tahoe Z71 BLK 89,000

Comment

its a small round valve on your intake thats lets
        your engine come to a idle . look for it by where your thottle
        cable hooksup on your engine /
        you can see a screw on the bottom of it to adjust
        1992 black GL
        1991 white GL
        1991 blue L parts car
        1992 blue L from Japan R.H.D.
        1948 ford conv. hot rod

Comment

ok thanks ill look for it and give it a shot... how do you adjust it?
          05 Tahoe Z71 BLK 89,000

Comment

Originally posted by TWO-FOUR View Post
            ok thanks ill look for it and give it a shot... how do you adjust it?
            If I'm not mistaken you just turn it.

Comment

I think both of mine are doing the same thing. Well the one I know has a rod knock so that's obvious. The one I'm using as a transplant was working find but recently started doing it as well. Try some fuel cleaner, it couldn't hurt. Also, you could run an engine compression test.

Comment

I did try some fuel stuff in her awhile back when she started to run a lil rough and it did help but no improvement this time and i forgot to say that when i took it to the shop they did a compression test and they said the engine was real tired i think they said 2 were at lower 80's 1 at upper 80's and 1 at 98 also said its blowing oil outta the exsaust but ill be trying the dashpot some time today and ill let you know if that does anything
                05 Tahoe Z71 BLK 89,000

Comment

This is gonna sound silly. But one thing Ive noticed whenever someones car is running rough is no one mentions if theyve changed their fuel filter. Id give it a try ,they only cost what? 8 or 9 dollars if that. And it probably could stand to be changed anyways.
                  Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                  - Unknown
                  I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                  - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                  - Bumper Sticker

Comment

i'd try the throttle position sensor like they said. The Vaf again; maybe there is a short in the connector. Maybe you have a short in the ics under the intake manifold.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Why not bump up the idle a little on the throttle body at the air bypass screw under the plug on top. It might just give you that extra 100RPM that would keep it from stalling in gear with the wear/poor fuel we now deal with. It is worth a try, and doesn't cost a cent.

Michael
                      Have owned 9 so far
                      White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                      Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                      Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                      Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Oh, one thing to add..... don't make an adjustment to the butterfly on the throttle body or throttle cable to adjust idle. A person before me had done that on Smurffy, and I had a heck of a time getting the initial setting back where it belonged to have the TPS at the correct setting! The air compensation adjustment under the rubber plug on top only!!!!

Michael
                        Have owned 9 so far
                        White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                        Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                        Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                        Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                        Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

^^Very Very Very True....A hair open will neglect the effects of the idle bypass screw and create a mechanical advantage such that the idle vacuume cna pull the gate open. A hair closed and the gate/bore will be damaged.
                          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

well i adjusted the dashpot screw and that seemed to do the trick so far shes not dieing when i come to a stop just idleing a little low... and prior to learning about the dashpot i did try adjusting the throttle position sensor that had little effect but not even close enough to stop it from dieing.. and adjusting the screw with the black rubber cover this did absolutley nothing what is it for any way? and also the throttle cable this did bring the idle up a little but before i did the dashpot i put it back where it was so now im just gonna hope she stays running Thanks Everyone for the assistence much apreaciated
                            05 Tahoe Z71 BLK 89,000

Comment

Try cleaning the throttle body. If your compressions that low you would have a lot of engine breathing and therefore gumming of the tb.

Comment

Working...
                              X