Just Tore Busters Head Off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Tore Busters Head Off!

I replaced Busters head gasket 'cause he had oil in the water but looking carefully at the old gasket I didn't see any problem with the old gasket (so I think the original head is cracked between a oil and coolant passage). Checking ebay there's some brand new heads on there was I got one for a $125.00. This morning I yanked Buster's head back off. (2 hours)

Question. I expected to find a Timing belt How To but running a search I didn't see one. My timing belt looks to be new but I'd like to replace the crankshaft seal. The crank pulleys look like a "B" to get off (or at). From one other thread, I'm guessing I need to lower the passengers side of the engine to get the pulleys off?

Thanks,

Mike

...or raise it
    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

actually it's not as hard as it looks. tools you'll need: 10mm sockets/wratchet (short and long), philips head (long), 12mm wrench, pry bar, 12 & 14mm sockets, cresent wrench (12"), and about an hour if it's your first time changing the belt.

loosen the three 10mm bolts on the w/p pulley, remove the alt belt (12mm wrench), remove w/p pulley, remove cam belt cover (upper, 4-10mm bolts), turn wheel all the way to the right, remove lower well cover, remove 4-10mm bolts from crank pulley, remove 2 phillips screws, remove pulley, remove lower belt cover, rotate engine to TDC (cam gear ticks at 12 and 3 o'clock) with crestent wrench. if you're going to do the crank seal as well, you'll need an air gun and i think a 19mm socket, then loosen the belt tentioner (pry out of the way and lock down), remove belt, remove lower sprocket (if doing seal), replace belt.

now do everything backwards and you're up and running again.

note: this is the simple explanation in a perfect world where all the pieces come off/out easily and nothing brakes.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

And the New Head solved the Oil in Water problem!

Comment

Working...
        X