Clutch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch question

Over the weekend, I threw my new B3 engine in my '88 L "Cherry Bomb." The new engine purred like a kitten until the alternator screeched like a banshee and then crapped itself. However, I have a question about the clutch.

I installed a new clutch assembly/throw out bearing, and re-used the old transmission. It is the 4 speed that I posted the thread about the whining. I reinstalled the clutch cable. The clutch fork that the cable attaches to has excessive play. At first, when pressing in the clutch pedal, the clutch would not engage. I screwed the screw in approx. 2 turns. It still has excessive play, but when I let off the clutch, it IMMEDIATELY engages the moment you start to release the pedal. I can't find a happy medium. The fork itself has almost an inch of play.

Is this going to be a clutch assembly issue, or is there some other adjustment I can still make. I am hoping that I don't have to drop the transmission again. I am about sick of being under the car and I don't relish yanking the axle shafts again. LOL :laughing6:

SECOND QUESTION: What controls the "SHIFT" light on the instrument panel? It doesn't come on anymore and I double checked that I reconnected all plugs on the transmission.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
    88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
    88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
    06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Do you have a return spring on the clutch lever? If you don't, that's probably your trouble. You're trying to use the tension of the pressure plate as a return spring.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Everything is intact, to include the return spring.

06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Had the same problem when I put in my SPEC clutch, and I just screwed the cable-to-fork thingy almost all the way and it's ok now.
        The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

I just want to add that you want to take the slack out of the cable, but you don't want to preload the release fork...
          The left lane? Are you crazy!!! I never drive in the left lane...It's full of freaks driving the wrong way and charging right at you!!!

Comment

OK, I just dropped the transmission. The clutch that I got is supposed to be for a Festiva. It bolted on great when I installed it. However, upon measuring everything after dropping the tranny, I discovered that the new clutch is 1/2" shallower than the clutch attached to the flywheel on the old engine. This would explain the excess play in the shift lever. The springs on the clutch that the throw out bearing ride on are also a lot wider and there are fewer of them than the old clutch. My question NOW is, should I put the old clutch back in (It still has plenty of life left; I just wanted to change it since I had it apart), or should I put the tranny back in and play with adjustments and live with the slop? I just wanted to get a general consensus since you guys have been doing this longer than I have. Thanks.

Comment

I did the same thing...I upgraded to a 5 speed and just for the heck of it, I put a new clutch in. They only run about $65-$95 so just put a new one in and you will feel good about it. That's just me...
              Ski

1986 Ferrari Testarossa
              2002 BMW 745i
              2002 BMW 325i
              1989 BP'd Festi :p

Comment

Comparing one clutch to another as far as pressure plate finger height in the installed position, the pressure plate with the new, thicker disc will have the bearing finger depressed lower that a pressure plate holding a worn disc.

[QUOTE=hawkdoc60;158697]OK, I just dropped the transmission. The clutch that I got is supposed to be for a Festiva. It bolted on great when I installed it. However, upon measuring everything after dropping the tranny, I discovered that the new clutch is 1/2" shallower than the clutch attached to the flywheel on the old engine.

Comment

Working...
                X