Intermittent Wiper Switch Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Wiper Switch Upgrade

I searched, I promise. I didn't see any helpful info. So now I post.

I got an intermittent wiper switch assembly from 25Horseplay recently. I took the column cover off but I don't readily see how to remove/replace the switch? Any tips/pics? Thanks. I can get a quick pic or two of Pud if needed. 92 L.
    Remember "I" before "E", except as in Budweiser.

once the column covers are off, it should just be 3 or 4 (can't remember for sure) screws and 1 connector

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
      once the column covers are off, it should just be 3 or 4 (can't remember for sure) screws and 1 connector
      The current switch "looks" like it is attached to the hazard lights; there isn't a hazard switch on the new assembly. I need a better look.

Comment

You have to pull the steering wheel too. then there is a screw on the bottom going up diagnally that you loosen to loosen the locking collar and it should slide toward you off the steering column.
        And yes the hazard/wiper/headlight/turn switches all come off together.
        Last edited by scottxd45; 07-17-2008, 01:39 PM. Reason: thought of more info
        ~Scott

1989 Festiva L EFI

2010 Toyota Prius

Comment

Originally posted by scottxd45 View Post
          You have to pull the steering wheel too. then there is a screw on the bottom going up diagnally that you loosen to loosen the locking collar and it should slide toward you off the steering column.
          And yes the hazard/wiper/headlight/turn switches all come off together.
          i never had to remove my steering wheel to upgrade to the intermittenmt wipers

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Ack. Pull the wheel, don't pull the wheel... Rats I thought I was asking a simple question. I would be fine with just ripping everything apart until it makes sense but Pud's all I've got right now and I can't put him out of commission. So, I guess I really need to get in there and have a real good look around. I still don't even see how the new one replaces the old one, plug and play wise. Bah. Poor little guy looks horrible right now. The radio is out, the dash bezel is off, wires are hanging out like guts through the radio hole, parts are all over the floorboard, the colum cover is off... It looks like a boneyard car, ha.

Comment

Pull the wheel, its much easier. Ill dig up some pics. Scott is right, take off the whole combo switch and replace the module and stem then replace the combo switch.
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

As said... Pull the wheel, it makes your job a whole lot easier.

Use a small screwdriver to pry out the Ford emblem... It's a 21 mm nut holding the wheel on. Remove that, grasp the wheel at 3 and 9, or 12 and 6... And yank from side to side... But keep a firm grasp so your wheel doesn't meet your teeth.

Remove the cover from the assembly (5 or 6 screws underneath) and then it's 1 screw for the rest of the assembly. Loosen that screw, then grasp each of the stalks (the closer to the assembly you can get, the better) and twist while pulling.

It'll break loose and come forward. Remove the 5 plugs on the back and the assembly should be off. There are 3 screws that holds the wiper module in place. Remove them, put the new one in place and re-install in the reverse order.

Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Wiper Switch

These are from the Ford 1990 Festiva Manual. The right way is pull the steering wheel. Have GREAT success and a better day.

Joe

Comment

Thought I had more pics, probably do. Ill keep looking. A puller works nice on the steering wheel. Here are a couple I found. You can see the single clamp that holds the combo swith on and the connections.

sigpic

Comment

Some more pics.

The single combo switch clamp has to be loosen by unscrewing the long bolt you see at the center. When you get that loose you have to pull back on the tab located at the top of the center circle . There is a raised area on the column and pulling this tab up releases it from the raised hump. Also be sure to make some reference marks so you get your steering wheel back aligned properly. Note the simple puller I use. Beats knocking your teeth out. Plus Ive never had any luck manhandling the wheel. It never comes off for me. Its not hard, the hardest part is probably disconnecting and reconnecting the plugs. Also see a jumper if you are changing from new switch to old switch.

Unhook your battery first.
                      Last edited by freshtiva; 07-17-2008, 06:25 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the info. That makes it all clear.

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
                          Some more pics.

Also see a jumper if you are changing from new switch to old switch.

Unhook your battery first.

OK, I'm in the middle of it now. Got the wheel and old assembly off, no problem. But, there is a connector on the new assembly that is identical to a connector already coming off the turn signal switch. What do I jumper or how do I fix this? Sorry to apply urgency but I'm outside right in the middle of it and need it back together by today.

Comment

Im not sure what your question is. The jumper is only needed in you where replacing a newer combo switch (with white lettering) with an older combo switch(with orange lettering.) If your lettering is the same color it should just be a plug n play. Did you get the whole intermittent combo switch or just the intermittent module and stalk ?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
                              Im not sure what your question is. The jumper is only needed in you where replacing a newer combo switch (with white lettering) with an older combo switch(with orange lettering.) If your lettering is the same color in should just be a plug n play. Did you get the whole intermittent combo switch or just the module and stalk ?
                              Just the mod and stalk. The old assembly was a standard non-intermittent and had no extra wires on it. Can upload a pic in a few. New one is inter. with white lettering.

Comment

Working...
                              X