Rear spindle information needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear spindle information needed

Well, I'm off to Pick-a-Part tomorrow to try and find a good used RR spindle, and have a few questions:
    * Does anyone know the sizes of sockets, etc that i will need to remove the spindle? (spindle bolt size, 4 bolts that hold the spindle from behind, etc)
    * Any unusual tools needed? (breaker bar, etc) OR any special techniques i need to know?
    *Can i use a LR spindle for the RR? (put another way, are they interchangeable?)

* If i cannot find a good spindle, can my stripped one be re-threaded?

Thanks everyone!
    If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
    Mark S.

Without pulling out my parts, I can't remeber exactly what size the NUTS againTHE NUTS on the back side of the spindle are, but I believe they are 14 mm. The bolts are splined, and do not turn at all in the spindle itself. Once the spindle is removed from the torsion beam, they *can* be pressed out of the stub axle, but why? Your best bet if there is rust present is to sacrifice the nuts by taking a nice sharp cold chisel, and staking them in 2 places to break them in two. This has been the best in my case because all have been rusted and seized on mine. A deep socket, and some penetrating oil, if you are lucky and no significant rust is present. I have mostly used an adjustable wrench to remove the stake nut. If you are really fortunate, you may find a 93 that uses cotter pins, and castle nuts instead of the stake nuts. As I remember, these are both right hand threads on both sides, unlike the "right is left, left is right" most are. Yes, I have seen the left side stubs used on both sides, but I would keep my eye on that stake nut if I used one like that. Why would they go to that trouble otherwise?
    Question for an engineer.......
    Could you rethread? I have used a thread chaser to clean the threads before,and have reused axles that way before when the nut had been turned the wrong direction, and the threads were filled with material from the soft nut, but I have not found a source for a left handed thread die in that particular metric size/pitch. I did look at one point, to no avail.
    Good hunting!

Michael
    Have owned 9 so far
    White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
    Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
    Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
    Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
    Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

It's a good thing he is in California...that will reduce his chances for a rusty car quite a bit.

I would bring a 3lb mallet, and once you get the nuts flush with the end of the stud, you can give it a tap, and the spindle should unseat itself from the splines. That's what I did for mine and it worked like a charm.
      Last edited by wrestler3025; 07-18-2008, 11:39 PM.
      90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
      92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
      94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
      94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

Unless he is on the ocean..... Saw that in Tampa. Salt spray does a good job too.
        Have owned 9 so far
        Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!

Comment

I lived in Clearwater (across the bay from Tampa) and never saw a car in the yard that was rusty....unless it was a northern transplant hehe.
          90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
          92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
          94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
          94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

Safety Harbor. I saw one that they took to the beach most of the time, and it was no transplant. Most cars were the opposite, I know. Off subject, but the Isuzu PUP I had in New Orleans, then took north with me when I moved to Dayton in 88 in one winter had quarter size rust spots covering the whole body of the truck, while it never had rusted any in 5 yrs down there. Salt on the road in the winter country is totally different. All I was saying is I could see a Festiva being a beach bums favorite ride for the fuel economy, and cargo capacity. Can't you?
            Have owned 9 so far

Comment

If you remove the lower bolt on the strut you can just unbolt the spindle from behind. (14mm).
              Brian
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
              :fish:

Comment

While on the spindle stubs topic, are the Festiva and Aspire rear spindle interchangeable? Dimensions, bearings, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
                  While on the spindle stubs topic, are the Festiva and Aspire rear spindle interchangeable? Dimensions, bearings, etc?
                  No, the bolt pattern is slightly different where it attches to the control arm.
                  Brian
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                  :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
                    No, the bolt pattern is slightly different where it attches to the control arm.

25 horseplay

So, my next DAQ (Dumb Ask Question) would be, do you know if the Festiva spindle will accept the Aspire bearings and brake drum? Otherwise, get Aspire bolt pattern w/o doing a complete rear axle swap.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieZ View Post
                      25 horseplay

So, my next DAQ (Dumb Ask Question) would be, do you know if the Festiva spindle will accept the Aspire bearings and brake drum? Otherwise, get Aspire bolt pattern w/o doing a complete rear axle swap.

Thanks.
                      A little research leg work on my part answered my DAQ. The answer is NO. [IMG]http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif [IMG]

Comment

Working...
                      X