Control arm/ball joint replacement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control arm/ball joint replacement question

I'm going to tackle this soon (since I've had the parts laying around for months now).

I know those bolts or nuts are going to locked on there and there will be some cutting involved or something. Like the rear strut replacement thing with the hidden spot welded nut or whatever.

My question is, to save one trip in the middle of a project to the hardware store......

Anyone know what size/length of bolt/nut I will need for the replacement?
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

whats up with festiva cars in the north rusting to death?

i never seen a festiva bolt that was seized but it seems like all these northern cars are rust buckets. i have taken apart 2 festivas and half of an aspire and never once had a bolt that was hard to take out.

those exact bolts you are talking about, on my car are not even rusted. they still have the factory paint and screw-unscrew easily.

Comment

Uhhhhh....small word....four letters...sounds like SALT!

Comment

if you play your cards right, you won't have to replace any bolt, besides you will not be able to buy that strength of bolt at the hardware store.

do this: spray liquid wrench or an Amsoil equivalent to the caged nut in the frame rail consistently over and over for a few days.

and when the time comes to remove the bolt, wedge a pry bar or a really good sized screwdriver between the cage of the nut and the inside of the frame rail to keep the nut still , while removing the bolt.

and one other suggestion: do not use air or electric impact tools, as you can't control them enough before doing actual damage to the cage and nut.
        unless you have to as a last resort.

Comment

lots of liquid wrench.

And you can get replacment bolts of the same strength. NAPA carries em, and you can order from just about any auto parts store.
          OX SMASH!!

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain
            lots of liquid wrench.
            Kroil works better, especially Aero-Kroil
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Ive had good luck with PB Blaster.
              Those who think drifting through life is easy, never tried it in an FWD.

Comment

I've got pb blaster laying around.

I didn't know you could get to the nut too. I thought it was hidden.
                www.dantheoilman.com
                AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

On each side of the car there is an access hole that is a few inches away from the captive nut. You can spray the oil in there.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                  BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                  BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                  New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

don't need to get to the nut with Kroil. It wicks itself down trough the threads. I've had Kroil coerce things loose almost gently, that other penetrating oils wouldn't even touch. Smells like cat piss, but works great. I used to get it from our ISO shop in the C130 hanger, on the Nat'l Guard base where I used to serve. Can be gotten through auto supply (not chain, like Auto Zone) stores, too. Even NAPA, I think.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
                    X