I broke my clutch switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I broke my clutch switch

I just bought my first Festiva. The clutch felt mushy and the Haynes said the pedal should around 8"from floor before you set freeplay. Mine was 7.25. I reached blindly for the switch and found it right where Haynes said it was. I didn't look at the picture closely enough at first and found the lock nut in the exact position of the picture. Haynes picture doesn't give year of vehicle in photo. Anyway, I couldn't get the switch loose and after much effort, I heard the tiniest little snap sound. The next time I depressed the clutch, The switches plunger hit me in the eye. One, Am I an idiot for not getting it loose?(Don't answer that) and Two, How do I get it out and where do I get another one. Please don"t say JY, I'd much rather dig one out of a little box or bag.
    88 Festiva 5 speed
    89 Automatic L with 1 1/4 hitch
    93 parts car(not much left)
    89 free parts car 5 speed
    03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
    05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

"When you've got kids, That's all you've got."

If you are talking about the nuetral safety switch ( I think that is what it is called ) that is actuated when you press in the clutch to start the car....you do not need it, other then it is a safety feature ....I disconnected one of them on my one Festy. Got tired of having to step on the clutch one winter to start and warm it up and just never reconnected it.
    But I would imagine you can pick one up at just about any auto parts store.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

NO, its the one the clutch pedal upper arm rests against when the clutch is engaged(up position) I'm supposed to spin it to set pedal height.
      88 Festiva 5 speed
      03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
      05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

Comment

it is called a clutch engagement switch. i checked, auto zone, advance auto and o'reielys auto parts online and none of them had a listing for it.
        i have found, by experience that the only thing it does, is when i don't compleatly remove my foot from the clutch,shifting to second gear, the car will lurch several times unless i mash the gas pedal about half way or floor it.
        looks like it might be a junk yard part, but you might want to check napa, ford are maybe a mazda dealership.
        1960 willys pickup
        1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
        1989 festiva
        1990 festiva for parts
        1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Well I got no lurching but it still won't keep running. Starts fine ,idles now that I was directed to that white knob on linkage, but driving if I come off throttle it just dies out. By the way I pulled the drivers seat and climbed under the dash. Found where I had hold of the wrong nut ant twisted the heck out of the bracket holding that switch and brake light switch,twisting it away from brake pedal and leaving brake lights on. I did finally set clutch to Haynes specs. Still feels funny. My check engine light works on start up so I think it is only carb trouble and not emissions.
          88 Festiva 5 speed
          03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
          05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

Comment

you need to post a little info about your car. what year, i guess it's a 88 or 89 manual trans because you mentioned a carburetor, and what you have done to it so far, and we all can help you diagnose your problem.
            1960 willys pickup
            1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
            1989 festiva
            1990 festiva for parts
            1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Yes its 1988 with 1993 interior. I replaced plugs,wires,cap,button,air filter. I have been reading my Haynes and found just how important that little switch is.I'm going out tomorrow to find one or repair this one. I just broke the little plunger off this one so I may try to drill down in the plastic and insert a roll pin to replace the plunger. I've done stranger things. I've had a lot of experience fixing broke stuff with whats available at Ace. The car used to be a parts car of previous owner. His 93 blew up so he put this one on the road after sitting a long time. His wife didn't like driving a stick so he unloaded it onto me. 131, miles. AC but doesn't work. Butchered wiring harness at radio. Broke windshield. After I replace/repair this switch I plan on checking all the other crap that works with that little switch. This car continues to remind me why I stopped working on cars back when emissions started.
              88 Festiva 5 speed
              03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
              05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

Comment

NAPA has the switch.....http://tinyurl.com/6m58lc
                Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I fixed it . Now I just have to reinstall it.
                  I used a drill bit to measure the depth of hole to insert 3/32 spring pin to have proper length remaining.
                  Last edited by Handyman; 07-22-2008, 10:24 AM.
                  88 Festiva 5 speed
                  03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
                  05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

Comment

that's great, american ingenuity triumps again.
                    1960 willys pickup
                    1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                    1989 festiva
                    1990 festiva for parts
                    1991 s-10

Comment

Working...
                    X