rear bumper bottom bolt replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear bumper bottom bolt replacement

Suggestions on how to replace the two bottom bolts on the back bumper? Broke both bottom bolts while removing it to sand and paint rust. Bottom bolts are the ones with the nut on the outside of the car. The nuts on the other four bolts inside the car came off fine, no rust. The heads are welded to the bumper. I have a drill, hacksaw, and cold chisel to work with. The bumper could be reinstalled without the two bottom bolts but I would like to replace if possible. Do not think replacement bolt heads need to be welded to bumper?
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Yep, I broke one of these when I removed my rear bumper for the trailer hitch. I would like to know how to "fix" this booboo as well.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I went ahead and drilled a 1/4" hole though the bolt and head. The metal is soft so drilling went quickly. I used a 1/4" bolt for replacement. There's room in there to get a wrench on one end and socket on the other. The original head didn't need to be welded on for lack of space to work.

When the bumper was off the car about 5 pounds of sand poured out. Sand is spread on Ottawa roads in winter. I cut a 2.25" slice off a 3" closed cell styrofoam board and fit it along the lower edge when resinstalling to keep sand from getting up in there. The ends were left open for ventilation and some space was left around the exhaust pipe.

The removal and installation instructions in the Haynes manual are confused. There is no difference between the 1988-93 and later models. My '89 has the lower nuts, and the plastic liner has to be removed to get at two of the inside nuts, same as later models.

I took photos and would post if I knew how.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I had a small rock assortment and a big spider living in my rear bumper! I removed the rocks and the spider removed itself.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
        X