Twinstiva Stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twinstiva Stalling

Twinstiva was running well Sunday, doing a smooth 70+ on the freeway and giving no problems. Then after I stopped for a malt and got back in, the alt belt squealed loud upon backing out. It continued that and then began stalling when I took my foot off the gas in neutral.

I tightened the belt (installed new this past week) when I got home but the car still stalls after being driven and put in neutral. When started from a standstill, it may continue to run with no problems other than a seemingly slow idle speed.

The airbox and piping seem airtight. I pulled the two outer plugs and there is no fouling (less than 150 miles on them anyway).

I'll be getting a plug checker at HF Tuesday to see if one cylinder is not working and I may pull the two middle plugs to check them.

She runs and drives fine, except for some hesitation on hard acceleration. Would I be able to hit 75 on three cylinders?

Remember this car just sat for three to four years before I got her started two weeks ago. Maybe I just need to check timing and set idle speed?

What else might this be?

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Update:

I got the plug checker and all cylinders are firing fine. Still the idle seems a bit slow, but the past two days I've gone on relatively short drives and there was no stalling.

I'm thinking maybe the ECU has adapted to whatever new driving conditions it experienced?

Drove Twin to work tonight. No problems so far.

Now I have to replace my steering rack boots. I think all the years of sitting on a hot driveway ate them up. Pieces are off the right side one. I brought my shop manual to work tonight so I'll look it up.

Any comments appreciated!

Karl

Comment

I suspect that the belt squeeling and the stalling are totaly un-related. Have you checked the ignition timing & idle speed?

Comment

Hi Dave.

That's what I need to do.

I may read up on it tonight (this morning, that is).

Drove her to work and she's doing okay. No more stalling.

Thanks,

Karl

Comment

So was it stalling or just failing to idle ?
          sigpic
          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Maybe it was "failing to idle?"

I just called it "stalling." It stopped, usually after some gas was given it. It would then surge with the gas and then slow down to a stop. :p

It hasn't done this in a few days now. Maybe it was the ECU resetting?

I waxed her the other day. In the sun, so it was hard to polish off, and the job wasn't too great. But I got her done, and she's a bit shinier!

Karl

Comment

One thing I would too. Change the fuel filter again. I assume you changed it when you decided to get it back on the road. But I would put another new one on now that is has had some fuel run through it.

When you gave it gas, it sounds like it only got air, then a squirt of fuel the nothing.
              Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

I started her with a new fuel tank, mostly new lines and fuel filter. Used fuel pump with new sock. I cleaned out the engine FI parts down to the injectors, etc.

I suppose it could still be some dirt in there, but not much.

I'm also gonna try some Seafoam soon.

Soon as it's a windy day so the reputed smoke screen does not evelope my whole yard, attracting EPA types.

Karl

Comment

Way more thorough than most.

I'll go back to sleep now.
                  Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Is it possible you got some bad gas?
                    Pop the filler cap next time it happens and see if you have a low pressure condition in the tank, (ie Air is sucked into the tank when the filler cap is opened).
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

My car wasnt stalling but it wouldnt idle properly. It ended up being the a sticky VAF. It just needed freeing up.
                      sigpic
                      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I put in two gallons last summer after my new fuel tank install. So that sat for a year. Upon starting a few weeks ago, I added two more gallons of fresh stuff, plus some Lucas fuel additive. I just now finished up my first full tank and got 35.7 mpg.

My guess is checking the timing and running some Seafoam through her should help. My acceleration seems okay, but it just ain't as "linear" as I'm used to. Seems like a bit of lag as the engine spins up near redline. Couldn't this just be a "cruddy engine?"

Karl

Comment

If you want to experience the 45 mpg thing you shouldn't be getting anywhere near redline. I'm just saying...

Comment

Well I am getting about 9 mpg better than my B6/ATX car!

When I get a full weekend off I'll do a trip to WV to see my Aunt and we'll see what Twin can do on the highway.

In the meantime, I'll try to keep my right foot under control and see if I can get a 40 mpg tank in daily driving.

I checked the transaxle fluid Tuesday morning and it was full and looking/smelling great.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                            X