Rear quarter window help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear quarter window help needed

Hi all. Well, I made the mistake of taking my festiva in to have the windows tinted. Aside from doing a poor job on the tint, they managed to create a few problems that I didn't have before. They broke my cargo light (while installing new speakers), created an annoying rattle in the front passenger door, but worst of all, neither of the rear quarter windows will stay closed. :angry4: Now I know why they wanted to be payed up front. *sigh* Lessons learned......

I had a moment where I thought about taking it back in there and making them 'fix' it but then sanity took hold, and I realized that they would probably screw it up even worse, so I abandoned that thought. LOL

So now I have to figure out what's wrong with the windows and why they won't stay closed. I think that they installed some plastic washers that weren't there originally, and that they may be too thick. Anyone have a picture of how the hinges and latches go back together? I know that the parts that fit together through the glass have a rectangular shape that has to line up, but since I didn't take the thing apart, it's tough to know if it's back together correctly. Any help (and pics) would be appreciated!

Laura Z

You know? I tinted my own windows and they turned out perfectly..I put all the washers where they supposed to and BAM! my windows wont stay closed either? Well, I got tired of making adjustments for about an hour to no fix in the near future so I just zip tied the latch together. When you think about it, I never use them windows and its an added security to have them tied...what you think?

Ski
    Ski

1986 Ferrari Testarossa
    2002 BMW 745i
    2002 BMW 325i
    1989 BP'd Festi :p

Comment

Hi Ski,

Thanks for the suggestion. As tempting as the zip-tie fix is, I would really like to get the windows back to functioning properly.

Maybe it has something to do with the original rubber washers being compressed one way for so long and then getting put back in a different position. Not much of a difference, but just enough to cause too much tension on the latches. Hmmm, maybe buying new rubber washers somewhere might do the trick? Ones with more 'give' and less 'memory'?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Laura Z

Comment

the little tabs that the lever snaps over did not get broken off did they?
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

The tabs are intact

But I wonder how worn out they are. I can get the windows to latch, but drive over a bump (not even a big bump) or close a door or the hatch, and they pop right open now. Not cool, especially in a drive through car wash!

Comment

Hopefully this will help, the washer is on the outside of the very dirty window..hard to get the digital cam to focus where I wanted it to.

Let me know if you need a different view...specific part or whatnot. perhaps the camera will even do it!!

92 Festiva L stock with wheel upgrade...The Mater (Sold)
            '66 Galaxie 500 428 FE...Friend of OPEC
            '68 Mustang Coupe
            '63 Galaxie Country Sedan

Comment

Rear latch from the shop manual

LauraZ

This scan from the shop manual may help.

CharlieZ

Comment

Thank you!

Edudu77 and CharlieZ, that's just the info I needed and I really appreciate you taking the time to post it.

As it turns out, these guys put a rubber washer on the inside, in addition to the one on the outside.

Hey, is it also supposed to have a washer on the outside only, at the hinge points also?

Stands to reason, but just making sure.

Thanks again all!

Laura Z

P.S. I bought a set of shop manuals on ebay, but they haven't shipped yet. Can't wait until they get here! LOL

Comment

The hinges appear to have the washers inside and out...to shield the glass from the metal hinges, I suppose. You're welcome.

92 Festiva L stock with wheel upgrade...The Mater (Sold)
                  '66 Galaxie 500 428 FE...Friend of OPEC
                  '68 Mustang Coupe
                  '63 Galaxie Country Sedan

Comment

I had my rear windows out twice so far. The first time, I had the same problem you have. My mistake was not having the washers in right. The washers are supposed to be on the glass. If you look at your windows, you'll know what I mean. The only thing touching the glass should be the washers.

A tip:

Once you get your windows back in, latch them tight. Then take a screw driver and loosen the screws by the doors up just a touch. You'll feel the glass move ever so slightly. Tighten them back up and they should work fine.
                    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

edudu77 is correct. Inside and outside. Another scan from the manual may help.

Comment

Once again, you guys are awesome! Thanks! I'll update when I get this done.

Laura Z

Comment

Shoot, now you did it! Now I have to go and look at my windows! hahahah
                          Ski

1986 Ferrari Testarossa
                          2002 BMW 745i
                          2002 BMW 325i
                          1989 BP'd Festi :p

Comment

No more Pop goes the windows!

You guys are the best! Thanks!

Laura Z

:wav:

Comment

Working...