Stuck water temp sensor...any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck water temp sensor...any ideas?

Okay, so I've had issues with the idle and driveability...keeps throwing code 9, water temp sensor. I checked the sensor with my ohmeter, it's definitely shot..so I got another one. First off, getting a deep well socket on it is a pain, since the connector is turned at an angle that makes it difficult to get a socket on it. Got over that hurdle, but the sensor is VERY stuck. I've PB blasted it, and ran the engine until stightly warm, but not operating temp, still stuck. I am afraid that too much torque, and I could crack the intake. I just have that kinda luck! Any ideas? It's a 92 FI, btw...looks like the factory sensor.
    Thanks in advance,
    Donovan
    Last edited by edudu77; 07-22-2008, 05:44 PM. Reason: Me no spellum goodly

92 Festiva L stock with wheel upgrade...The Mater (Sold)
    '66 Galaxie 500 428 FE...Friend of OPEC
    '68 Mustang Coupe
    '63 Galaxie Country Sedan

pipe wrench

I just finished removing the three studs from my exhaust manifold. I had to use a 24" pipe wrench. The two jam nut trick didn't work. I snapped about 15 bolts of all sizes on my Festiva, while taking things apart. I am now an expert on patience and extraction techniques.
    Is your sensor stuck in the water neck boss? If so just go the the junkyard and get another water neck, with the sensor. If you feel lucky, then use a 24" pipe wrench. Something will definitely give. I always use anti seize lubricant on all my threads, so I will never have to contend with this again. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks BraveKozak...it's actually stuck in the intake plenum...under the throttle body. I broke several bolts on my exhaust when I swapped the head a few weeks ago...things go *ping* in a hurry! I'm trying to be gentle....maybe an overnight soak in loads of PB will help convince it. Intermitent thunder storms are giving me the night off.
      Donovan

'68 Mustang Coupe

Comment

The sensor will brake before the manifold will....the sensor body is made of brass.

Just make sure you are using a 6 point socket.....or....brake the electrical connector off of the sensor and use a box wrench. Be patient and make sure what ever tool you use is engaged well and you apply forces to the tool nice and plumb. Its very unusual for brass to corrode to something.
        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Update: I got it. Went out this morning, after an all night soak in PB blaster...the sensor, not me, and it broke loose first try. There was some galvanic corrosion, but it was because instead of a crush sleave, it had a steal washer. It may have been the original sensor, but it had been out before. Thanks for all the help guys,
          Donovan

'68 Mustang Coupe

Comment

Working...
          X