Running rich and stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running rich and stalling

Tomorrow I plan to pull Everything away from carburetor and get a closer look at it. Funny thing just happened, did search for rebuilt carb and they want $100 more than I paid for the whole dang car. Can anyone but Jay Leno afford such a purchase for a Festy? Also found Kits from $22 to $40 ,who has the best kit? with lots of instructions On a count of I never actually ever took one apart before. If I find an obvious problem, would it be the Acme of ignorance to just fix that and forget about the rebuild?

One more thing; The fuel filter is a bit hard to reach with my "popeye arms" When I replaced it I found that it had no clamps. It doesn't look like it leaks but could it be sucking air and causing rich condition? Don't laugh. This is a real question from a large person. I really don't want to get in their if I don't have to, I am on surgical mend and that kind of stuff ain't easy.
    88 Festiva 5 speed
    89 Automatic L with 1 1/4 hitch
    93 parts car(not much left)
    89 free parts car 5 speed
    03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
    05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

"When you've got kids, That's all you've got."

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    It doesn't look like it leaks but could it be sucking air and causing rich condition?
    I would think if the fuel lines were sucking air you would get less fuel than required so it would cause a lean miss condition.
    ~Scott

1989 Festiva L EFI

2010 Toyota Prius

Comment

I would first start with the O2 sensor...they are cheap and easy to replace...
      Ski

1986 Ferrari Testarossa
      2002 BMW 745i
      2002 BMW 325i
      1989 BP'd Festi :p

Comment

Check closely for vacuum leaks. Replace 02 sensor, and if the carb has never been rebuilt it's probably a good idea. Check o2 sensor voltage with good high impedence voltmeter. Set to about .4 volts DC by adjusting idle mixture screw. Mine used to get 28 MPG. After doing all that I now get 40 and it runs tons better.

Comment

Have you tried spraying in some carb cleaner?
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yes, I sprayed the carb on two occasions. I guess I'll have to dig deeper in my Haynes to find out what ZOE60 is talking about. I wouldn't want to ask now and bring the wrath of Monsoon down on my head. I am going to Advance tomorrow to get a carb kit, I'll check mine for number plates first because I understand there were many manufacturers of them.

I just read 12" tires are getting harder to find. Does any one know what other wheels will fit my Festy?:p
            88 Festiva 5 speed
            89 Automatic L with 1 1/4 hitch
            93 parts car(not much left)
            89 free parts car 5 speed
            03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
            05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

"When you've got kids, That's all you've got."

Comment

I'm not saying a word!
              Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
              - Unknown
              I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
              - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
              - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Originally posted by zoe60 View Post
                Check o2 sensor voltage with good high impedence voltmeter. Set to about .4 volts DC by adjusting idle mixture screw. Mine used to get 28 MPG. After doing all that I now get 40 and it runs tons better.
                What do you mean by idle mixture screw?... I've got an idle adjustment screw, but it's just a throttle adjustment. I've also got a mixture screw that's factory set and plugged. Which do you mean?

Thanks,
                Erik

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Yes, I sprayed the carb on two occasions. I guess I'll have to dig deeper in my Haynes to find out what ZOE60 is talking about. I wouldn't want to ask now and bring the wrath of Monsoon down on my head. I am going to Advance tomorrow to get a carb kit, I'll check mine for number plates first because I understand there were many manufacturers of them.

I just read 12" tires are getting harder to find. Does any one know what other wheels will fit my Festy?:p
                  I'll take this one MONSOON, here's a list of compatible wheels for the Festiva with stock suspension, and with the Aspire suspension swap.

Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.

Stock festivas are 110 mm. Search is your friend.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Unless you have a photographic memory, get some kind of digital camera and take a picture of each and every step you make disconnecting all the black spaghetti. You wont regret the bit of extra time you spend doing this. The carb itself is not that hard to rebuild but getting all the spaghetti reconnected properly is royal pain without a very detailed guide and that sticker on underside of hood isnt that helpful. And by way ALL new/rebuilt feedback carbs for any car are high dollar. Just the way of the world. Its the reason everybody went to fuel injection, much easier to control for emissions reasons without going to extreme with all the little gizmos and spaghetti. Festiva was one of the last carb cars sold in USA.

Comment

Working...
                    X