Idle Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Issues

I made a more final intake for my B6 and now its idling weird. sometimes it searches up and down. for example when you hit the clutch... or turn off the headlights. It searches up and down progressively higher/lower till it stalls.
    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
    RIP 90LX

Now I know when my dad and I rebuilt his 5.0 he had the same issue...any thing to upset the idle and it would search and stall. His turned out to be a bad intake manifold gasket. The gasket was brand new but didnt seal right. Just an idea.

-Scott
    Aqua 93 L
    Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
    White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

maby you have a cracked or bent intake manifold. check it all over for cracks and put a ruler on the mounting plate to make shure its straight. while you have your intake off check the head too.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

I dont think there are any leaks... I sprayed starter fluid all over the other day and the idle didn't change.
        RIP 90LX

Comment

Check all of the intake air ducting prior to the throtle body. Make sure there aren'tany leaks.

Monitor the fuel pressure while the idle is hunting. Should always be steady.

Check all of the idle input control devices and wiring....ther might be a little current leakage...this includes...Headlights...Cooling fan...Park/Nuetral/ingear/clutch.
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Ok. I Had it running fine last sunday. I put 300kms on it no major problems.

Now I redid the intake to be abit more permanent now im getting these problems. The cone filter wouldn't have anything to do with it?

I thought It maybe was the Idle air control... I soaked it in seafoam and no change.

Now the check engine light is flickering when I let off the gas/coast/shift/exct.

It only starts acting up once its good& warmed up.
            RIP 90LX

Comment

Stefen,
              I had a problem with idle and rough running after the car was warm, and it turned out to be the ECT sensor. Check the code from your Check Engine light , and if it is nine , it is the ECT.

Comment

I thought the light had to be ON to retrieve the code. Mine is only flickering now and then.
                RIP 90LX

Comment

it might not be any connection to your problem but for the new people here is that mine had an idle that would go up and down in rpm worked on it but never found the problem until i dropped a wrench on the vaf wires and it changed rpms so i shook the conectoer and for sure was the problem all along and it took me a year to find the problem.

stupid me

Comment

CE Light Flashes....No code stored
                    Could be a sensor/wiring problem....what ever is failing...driviving the CE light on...is also causing a power loss...or open ground...to the ECU...thus immediately resting the code.

FB71 Help needed...Jim...with the idle problems....I'm wondering...what conditions cause the ECU to go into "limp/open loop" mode...Based off this list...these are the things I would start checking.
                    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Ok it hasnt been doing it much latley... No idea what changed!?

Other observations/problems...

I notice that when its cold (like morning) It has much more low end torque... but once its warm there is basically no low end torque.. gutless till about 2500

Also, I dont seem to be getting very good gas milage... is this normal at first for a rebuild?

I replaced the o2 sensor today for good measure but it dosent seem to have made any difference.
                      RIP 90LX

Comment

Mine was doing that, sorta, ran great when cold, then about midway through heat up the CE light would flash and it would run like crap, then when warm it ran okay..mileage sucked! I pulled the connector off of them temp sensor...right by the fuel injectors, and hooked up my ohm meter. Should get between 2000-3000 ohms cold and 200-400 ohms warm. Mine would just flicker when cold...generally would show 1950 for about a second...then nothing. When warm it showed about 750...the computer just had no idea what to do apparently. Mine finally threw a code one day...it was code 9...but it had run like that for a month with no code. I only got the code after I rebuilt the top end..strange. Hope this helps...oh yeah, part was 19 bucks and now I am getting 36 mpg around here in the mountains, up from 23 mpg.
                        Donovan

92 Festiva L stock with wheel upgrade...The Mater (Sold)
                        '66 Galaxie 500 428 FE...Friend of OPEC
                        '68 Mustang Coupe
                        '63 Galaxie Country Sedan

Comment

bingo, temp sensor.
                          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Thanks guys... Ill try get one tomorrow. (Hopefully It won't be special order!)
                            RIP 90LX

Comment

Ouch... It was in-stock but it cost me $60 + %12 Tax.... Gotta love canada!
                              RIP 90LX

Comment

Working...
                              X