O2 sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O2 sensor

I read on "What did you do to your Festy this week" that someone replaced O2sensor wire. I went to Advance to price O2 sensor. Generic one was $17.95. One with correct plug was $35.00 Question finally. Is cheep one as good as the other? I just started working on the thing and it"s dollaring me to death.
    88 Festiva 5 speed
    89 Automatic L with 1 1/4 hitch
    93 parts car(not much left)
    89 free parts car 5 speed
    03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
    05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

"When you've got kids, That's all you've got."

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I read on "What did you do to your Festy this week" that someone replaced O2sensor wire. I went to Advance to price O2 sensor. Generic one was $17.95. One with correct plug was $35.00 Question finally. Is cheep one as good as the other? I just started working on the thing and it"s dollaring me to death.
    I just replaced mine with the 'cheep' one (universal, actually) and it's just as good in my opinion. You just have to splice the wire to the existing one.

Either way you go I highly recommend the replacement of the old one. Big difference.
    Remember "I" before "E", except as in Budweiser.

Comment

i've used the el cheap-o's also and had no problems.
      1960 willys pickup
      1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
      1989 festiva
      1990 festiva for parts
      1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

The 'generic' Bosch sensor is the same as the 'dedicated' Bosch senor, only difference is the electrical connector. I just replaced mine last week. I used the generic Bosch, $18.00.

Use a 7/8" box end wrench, PB Blaster helps gets the old one out. You can cut the wire near the old sensor and use a deep well 6 point socket to get it out. Use a regular wrench to tighten the new one.
        '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

I have a '92 with 70K miles. Until I got it running a couple weeks ago, it was sitting for about four years. Should I consider a new O2 sensor, or should the original one be okay?

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I changed mine because the OBD wagged out a 15 code. It made a huge difference, and the check engine light went out.

For under $20.00 and 30 minutes time, I would vote 'change it out'. Unless there's a chance the new one could be defective. I've never heard anybody report a defective new Bosch O2 sensor, but I suppose it could happen.
            '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

This is interesting, I did not think the carb models had an O2 sensor, but I took a look. Is it a single wire unit at the base of the exhaust manifold collector? My milage has dropped and I had not given this posibility much thought.
              Brent
              '88 Festiva LX

Comment

years ago in my 1986 sunbird i found out that a dealer oxegen sensor was about $6.00 more and did not have to splice anything.

Comment

Originally posted by barno68 View Post
                  This is interesting, I did not think the carb models had an O2 sensor, but I took a look. Is it a single wire unit at the base of the exhaust manifold collector? My milage has dropped and I had not given this posibility much thought.
                  you found it.
                  1960 willys pickup
                  1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                  1989 festiva
                  1990 festiva for parts
                  1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

I went and bought a direct fit one for my car... Whent home.. and it was a universal one... Had to splice the wire :???: It was $40 too. (Bosch)

Best part was I had to argue with the guy when he asked me which one. He insisted my 90' and one after the cat too
                    89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                    RIP 90LX

Comment

Working...
                    X