spindle nut for wheels torque amount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spindle nut for wheels torque amount?

i just replaced the brakes on the fastiva and was putting the wheel back on when i remembered i needed to torque the spindle nut for the hub. i dont know how much to torque it. could anyone help?

If you are talking rears...here's what I did. Book says to torque in 3 steps to approximately 22 ft lbs while spinning the tire. I tightened to 16...then 18...then 20...then 22 ft lbs, while spinning the tire. Then back off 1/4 turn, then tighten to 3 ft lbs (which is about as much torque as a good fart).

Not responsible for the above statement, it's just what I did. Please consult your owner's manual.
    ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
    #2 .....Cheesehead
    #3 '91 White - Donor Car
    #4 .....Montana Project
    SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
    Bought her back for $450
    Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

ok so i'll check the owners it did come with the car (only bought it for 100 dollars and have put 400 in her) if all else fails i did what you did, father said its around 75lbs in a regular car. good thing i didnt listen to him.

Comment

Originally posted by dleeper View Post
        ok so i'll check the owners it did come with the car (only bought it for 100 dollars and have put 400 in her) if all else fails i did what you did, father said its around 75lbs in a regular car. good thing i didnt listen to him.
        Lugnuts maybe, but that would kill a wheel bearing.
        Brent
        '88 Festiva LX

Comment

My father-in-law, a renowned Honda mechanic, says the new Accords are about 125-150lbs on the bearings. But since the Festiva uses the old style bearing that the book saying 18-25 is pretty accurate in his experiences. I read my factory manual and didn't see anywhere where is says to loosen 1/4 turn then tighten to 3lbs. It just says to tighten to 18-25 lbs to seat the bearing and that is it.
          -Bryant

Comment

Levitan's method is correct. Except it is actually 3 - 7 inch-pounds, not foot pounds. The Haynes manual says to take it up to 18-22 ft-pounds while turning the drum to seat them. Then back it off 1/4 turn, then make it finger tight. It says do not use a wrench. Make sure you stake it down well(or use the cotter pin if it has one).

I have heard many many stories of what crappy rear wheel bearings Festivas have. I would wager that those guys who are going through wheel bearing every few months are over-tightening them. They should easily go over 100,000 miles. Mine always do anyway.

Comment

Ford says this: SEAT bearings at 18-22 Ft Lbs, then while rotating drum. Back off to hand tight. Using an inch pound torque wrench on a wheel stud at the 12 o clock position, measure the bearing seal drag required to rotate the drum. This figure is added to 1.3 to 4.3 in lbs to preload the bearings tightning the nut while trying to rotate the drum from 12 o clock until the correct reading is accomplished...... This is a much abbreviated description of the procedure, but I think we all get the picture here. Small bearings, touchy preload settings.

Michael
              Have owned 9 so far
              White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
              Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
              Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
              Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
              Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Working...
              X