Stubborn CV Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stubborn CV Shaft

I have the shafts removed from the hubs, but I can't get either one to break loose from the trany. Any helpful hints? I am currently using a 3' pry bar with no luck and am reluctant to go much bigger for fear of cracking the trany case. Thanks.

Brent
    Brent
    '88 Festiva LX

Any helpful techniques?
    Brent
    '88 Festiva LX

Comment

If you are replacing your shafts, or are real careful otherwise, you can grab it by the shaft and start yanking. I have never had this fail for me yet.
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
      88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
      88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
      06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Your correct to be concerned with using a pry bar!
        The tranny case is aluminium and will crack rather easily!
        OEM axles usually pop out without much force, but aftermarket units tend to require more finesse.
        A slide hammer works very well.
        I beleive some one engineered something with some chain secured to the axle at one end and the other attached to a pipe with a weight and stop at the other end of the pipe.
        You don't need a hugh amount of force but it does need to be precisely directed along the axis of the axle for it to come out!
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I did not have a slide hammer, but switching to a smaller pry bar and a couple of raps with a 5# sledge popped the passenger side right out. Unfortunately I am have to wait until tomorrow for the output shaft seals to come in.

One concern, I got a little over a quart of fluid out when removing the shaft, is this normal. I replaced the tranny fluid two weeks ago and may have overfilled it as I could not find a level indicator mark (manual trans, added three quarts). Since it needs a new crush washer I will drain it again, but would like to know how much to put in.

Thanks.
          Brent
          '88 Festiva LX

Comment

On the gear drive for the speedo cable there is a line to indicate level, bottom of the mark is low and halfway up the mark is full. This according to Haynes manual.
            Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
            - Unknown
            I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
            - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
            - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Thanks for the help.
              Brent
              '88 Festiva LX

Comment

Working...
              X