No announcement yet.

Wheres the dome light power come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheres the dome light power come from?

Mine doesnt work, as in theres no power to it. Door switches seem fine to me and I have grounded it, theres just no power going to it.

Its really annoying when its dark and theres no dome light...
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Mines the same way:'{ Do you have the small one or the map light? I have the small one, but I'm gonna upgrade to the map light and rear hatch light. I hope that will fix the problem.
    89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

Obviously you guys checked fuses?
      Ski

1986 Ferrari Testarossa
      2002 BMW 745i
      2002 BMW 325i
      1989 BP'd Festi :p

Comment

I did, but mine is probably a wiring issue. I'll fix that when I upgrade!}
        89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

?

Under the dome light there's two wires. One is supposedly always hot, one is only hot when the door switch is activated.

Are you not getting power to either one? Or can you switch it on manually?

It may be a fuse, but If it's not working either way I'm thinking a grounding issue.

Comment

BTW, I didn't use a festiva dome light to replace the old one. I used this one and really like it: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5144 The light is not too bright or harsh. Just right when someone's trying to read while your driving.

It's my wife's car. She has monogrammed hearts on the interior. I replaced some of the LEDs in the light with UV ones and the monograms really stand out.

Comment

Fuses are all good. I guess Ill keep messing around.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

I would check that the door switches are clean and making good contact. I've had to clean mine a couple of times.
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada
                93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Actually, the one wire is hot, and the other provides a ground when the door is open.

Comment

I got it. Looks like it was the grounds the whole time. I guess the mounting screw that grounds wasnt in tight enough, so that side wasnt grounding. Then the door switches had some corrosion too. Just enough to screw it up.

Itll be nice not getting in a dark car every morning now...
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Originally posted by gotrootdude View Post
                      BTW, I didn't use a festiva dome light to replace the old one. I used this one and really like it: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5144 The light is not too bright or harsh. Just right when someone's trying to read while your driving.

It's my wife's car. She has monogrammed hearts on the interior. I replaced some of the LEDs in the light with UV ones and the monograms really stand out.
                      It appears that the link is dead.
                      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Posted the link at work, just clicked on it from home. Worked fine here. Maybe the site went down temporarily for maintenance or something like that.

Actually, the one wire is hot, and the other provides a ground when the door is open.
                        I think there's a bit of misunderstanding. I was referring to the harness it plugs into, not the wires on the dome light itself.

Comment

Sorry - I've never had to take mine that far apart.

Comment

Working...
                          X