Carb linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb linkage

What did I do wrong? I pulled my carb today and rebuilt it. I should have taken more pictures. I thought I was done because I didn't have any parts left over. The arm in the picture with the adjustment screw is just flopping around loose, Did I miss hook a spring or loose a link? The inside stuff was easy but the linkage and hoses and wiring is a bear. Maybe someone could take a picture of their 88 and post it for me. If there is a link I missed I apologize MONSOON.
    88 Festiva 5 speed
    89 Automatic L with 1 1/4 hitch
    93 parts car(not much left)
    89 free parts car 5 speed
    03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
    05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

"When you've got kids, That's all you've got."

Dont look at me Im not saying a word.
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

If you're talking about the zinc chromate/goldish colored arm, that's for the anti-stall dashpot. I just looked on my '88 carb'd Festiva. No other link, no spring. Just the dashpot. The dashpot has a vacuum line that runs to it.

Did your car have the dashpot when you took the carb off? It looks like a small vacuum advance can.
      '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

I thought it goes to the dashpot that mounts on the intake manifold with 2 bolts. It has 2 vacuum lines going to it and it raises the idle under electrical load (headlights etc.) or when the A.C. is on. Car will run fine without it. it will just flop around

Comment

The two vacuum switches on the firewall with the brown and orange plugs are supposed to go to the dashpot that works that lever. I plugged mine up. I couldn't ever get it adjusted right.

Comment

BRILLIANT!!! I finished putting it together after dark and didn't go back under the hood until this morning. I never saw that pot when pulling the carb. Now that Car Talk is over I can go back to my install. I wish I had more than a bent nail and a brick in my tool box because that left rear hold down nut is a real trick. Will post to say if it runs later...
            88 Festiva 5 speed
            03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
            05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

Comment

Make sure your o2 sensor is good too. You'd be surprised how it will stop the hesitation and all, Helps M.P.G. too. I struggled with that for a long time.

Comment

I can get yu a picture of it on the car if you'd like.
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

Has new O2 sensor. IT RUNS!! Still doesn't idle below 1200. Had to pull the top off carb to reset float level. My next two investments will be timing belt and new coil. Am taking road trip tomorrow with my truck to pick my 93 parts car so I don't know when I'll be working on Festy again. Gall bladder vacation is over and I go back to work on Monday.
                  88 Festiva 5 speed
                  03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
                  05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

Comment

Fast idle is a symptom of failing ignition control module.
                    Can taek ti out of the distributor and get it tested free as some parts stores.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Hey Watt. Is it tricky to remove? I can't decide if I should pull the distributor or not. Also, might Advance test such things? also , How does that sucker cost? also... Never mind, Thats too many also's.
                      88 Festiva 5 speed
                      03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
                      05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

Comment

Scale of 1-10 a 3 to remove the module itself. The two that failed for me were complete, and sudden though, just like someone turned off the key. A module will cost about the same as a rebuilt complete dist, but one word of warning is that I got a bad one of those too one time. (about 100.00) I try to keep a spare used one with me at all times, no joke!
                        It is a weak link in the chain for certain, and having a "known good" is really handy!

Michael
                        Have owned 9 so far
                        White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                        Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                        Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                        Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                        Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

I know that NAPA store b me test them. (modules) And I had one that was intermittant untill it failed completely.
                          Brian
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                          :fish:

Comment

Brian, What do you mean by intermittant? Wm Watt says that it may be doubling my idle speed. Have you had this problem with a module in your car?
                            88 Festiva 5 speed
                            03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
                            05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

Comment

Funny you went from installing the carb to high idle and then to ignition module. I'm no genius but I'd play with that carb more. When my ignition module went it would die and not start again. Sometimes would work after it cooled down. Does it run solid except for high idle?

Comment

Working...
                              X