Emergency: Car runs :P then dies :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency: Car runs :P then dies :(

Driving home my car died about 5 miles away from my house. Thank god got it towed fast.

Ok, when i turn it on, it runs in neutral. Then when i switch in any gear( 1st, 2nd, reverse) then it dies.

It turns on so it cant be the alt.

I am still learning cars so I am taking a guess that its either the distributor or ignition coil???

It is an 89 carb 4 speed.

i CALLED CHECKERS AND THEY DONT HAVE ANY METERS TO TEST IT OUT ( I KNOW WHAT THE HECK).

Any input will be appreciated. i have 3 more weeks till school starts so PLEASE helpme get my baby running right.

are u guys serious? 12 views and not 1 answer?

Comment

are you serious? i have no idea, i have the complete opposite of your car, efi,auto. id check the carb. because its either fuel, air or spark that makes a carb'd engine run, right so check those
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2065064/1
      Paulbarrera12.com
      Festiva Visualizer Project

Comment

when its in neutral, can you rev it up without hesitation?

Comment

yes i can rev no problem/.

Comment

are we talking neutral or park?

Comment

Is it manual or automatic?, cuz if it's a manual there is no "park" If it's manual, it could be the clutch not catching when you throw it into gear...how much do you rev it when you put it into gear? also check your clutch cable. did you just buy the car?
              89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

its a 4 speed. didnt see that.

Comment

Originally posted by collegeboi View Post
                  are u guys serious? 12 views and not 1 answer?
                  You need to learn some patience, not all the gurus sit around waiting to solve problems.
                  Last edited by Pu241; 08-03-2008, 08:26 PM.
                  Brian
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                  :fish:

Comment

I second that. That's not really the attitude to take with the board members if you want help.
                    90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
                    92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
                    94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
                    94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

I concur. I want to answer, but won't formulate possible solutions until I get an opportunity to review some of my service publications tomorrow. Patience, Grasshopper.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Sorry I did not mean to sound that way, just a bit upset.

I was suppose to do alot of things for college tomorrow( buy books, supplies) but cant do any of that tilli canfigure his out.

Ok so it misses when not in neutral, i rev alot before switching gears and still dies.

I know we can figure it out.

BTW i had my car since january, it runs perfect otherwise. after i figure this out I will do another basic tuneup (spark plugs, air, oil filter)

I was reading an thread about the 02 sensor as well??? maybe not. just trying to figure it out.
                        Last edited by collegeboi; 08-03-2008, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I would still say clutch or trans. do you feel the clutch engaging/disengaging? When you shift, does it drop out before or after you release the clutch? did you check the clutch cable?
                          89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

it switches into gear as far as i can tell. its getting late so will push car into garage tomorrow.

waiting for a bit more info before i pop the hood.

Comment

I'm curious about your cat converter. Any way you can look underneath, after the car has been running for a few minutes, and see if your cat is glowing? When mine first started down its road to destruction, it did what you say yours is doing. Swapped the cat, which was apparently plugged up, and it stopped all the stalling when put into gear, just could never get the idle situation straightened out, which you don't seem to have. Good Luck, and I will now defer to bigger brains on this subject.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                              X