Tranny question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny question..

..removed tranny to replace clutch.Since I have it out I de-greased it and washed it off. I got some water in the speedo cable hole.Also,after it dried after cleaning,there is slight surface rust in the axle goles.Is this a major problem ??Can I just wipe them or sand out the light surface rust before I re-install the axle shafts ? And as for the little water that got in to the speedo hole ...?

I'm not sure about the Festiva trans, but back in the day, I did the same thing to a Mustang II tranny (old, top loader style SROD 4 speed). I just dried it out as best I could and noticed it looked a little rusty inside. Since it didn't look more serious than light surface rust, I filled it up with gear oil and forgot about it. Ran it for 4 years with no problem.

I think you'll be fine, but like I said, I don't know about the Festy trans.
    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

I assume the tranny oil is drained already, and you let the tranny dry? If not, do that and it will be enough. If you are really worried rinse the diff end of the transaxle with a bit (like 100 ml) of varsol) and then the same amount of oil. The surface rust should not be a problem as long as the oil seals on the axle holes still look good. Did you replace those seals? If not, maybe you should while you have it out. Rust on the surface the seals seat on is the only real problem, rust elsewhere should not be. Emory or crocus cloth to polish the rust will work if you need to clean the seats for the seals. Other rust you cna leave alone.
      Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
      Icetiva-3-race-car-build
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Working...
      X