timing belt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing belt question

Hello all, my festy hasn't been running for nearly two(!) years now. Anyway, I got around to taking all of the timing cover, pulleys and stuff off.(I was sure my timing was off). Got it all off easily enough,lol found a spring(pull type) and what looks like a rubber sleeve-type thing that goes over the spring maybe.Is there a timing belt tensioner on this thing or is it an idler-type setup?I'd like to here some opinions on where this spring came from.Thanks
    93 festiva-Tremclad med blue,manual,no carpet,no back seat,ready for the snow!
    96 mustang gt-burnt orange/gold with a black hood,manual,bullitt 17's,magnaflow cat-back,short throw shifter,Cai....project

the spring came from you belt tensioner. The center bolt of the of the tensioner pulley locks the tensioner in position after the spring initially loads the belt. You'll need to reinstall the spring for the tensioner to work correctly.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I would replace the tensioner wheel.....after changing a timing belt once....I torqued the tensioner to the perscribed amount...what I did not realize was that from the factory, the bolt was covered with thread locker (loctite). I stopped before the mount/preload was correct. Lasted about six months. Found the spring on the bottom too.
      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Woolleybully, it might be to your advantage to put your location in your profile too, just in case there is someone nearby that might be able to lend you a hand.
        90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
        92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
        94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
        94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

Ok, so I put the new timing belt on. She didn't fire up. So then I got mad, started inspecting anything electrical under the hood. Came upon the fusible links(sweet design btw lol) went out and bought the female fusible links. Put them in, and she fired up no prob after sitting for two years! Runs like a champ just as she always did.
          93 festiva-Tremclad med blue,manual,no carpet,no back seat,ready for the snow!
          96 mustang gt-burnt orange/gold with a black hood,manual,bullitt 17's,magnaflow cat-back,short throw shifter,Cai....project

Comment

Working...
          X