Something to do with brakes draining battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to do with brakes draining battery

Hey, sry i know this isnt about a festiva but.. my family has been ripped off enough by that $%#@%#$@%@#%^%@#^$@%^%#^@%$^^ toyota dealership! my mother just had her 99 1.8dohc 5spd corolla taken in for a gas tank filler neck replacement, and an e-brake adjustment. when she got it home, the next time she got in to drive it, it was making a motor soudning noise coming from the left of the steering collumn and it kind of sounded like clicking, but more like an electric motor. Whatever this is, it drained the battery. The real ticker is that when u step on the break, it stops.
    Only thing i can think of is the brake booster, it doesn't sound like the fuel pump.

I'm sorry to post this on the festy forum but u all know what the dealerships charge for jobs they don't do properly..
    Any input would be greatly accepted and appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sean
    Proud owner of 92L, 350KM, Home made muffler, sounds like a truck! 16 years without replacement of anything but filters! 5spd EFI, Anyone else's shifter look like its from a quarter-ton?

Turn the key to the run position
    Does the click sound start?
    Depress and hold the brake pedal.
    Does the click sound go away?
    Release the break pedal?
    Does the sound come back?
    Press the pedal down.
    Shift from park to any forward gear.
    Release the pedal
    Did the sound come back or stop?

Per the last question...most rice have relays in the safety start circuits that only alow starting in P/N and going into gear when the brake pedal has been pressed. If the noise disappeared,the probllem is in this circuit.
    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

i cant test all these right yet, im not at home at the moment, i will test them asap when i get home.

If it helps at all, the car hasn't been put out of first gear, clutch was engaged to try starting, but pressing brake still stopped the noise. i checked it today before i left, no noise anymore but the car don't even got enough juice to make the horn go hehe. I will post back with more info ASAP, Thank you jglutz.
      Cheers.
      Proud owner of 92L, 350KM, Home made muffler, sounds like a truck! 16 years without replacement of anything but filters! 5spd EFI, Anyone else's shifter look like its from a quarter-ton?

Comment

it turned out to be the cars remote starter for some reason.. it wasn't quite right with the car from the beginning.

Comment

^^Nice to know....most of them require relays in the brake pedal circuit to prevent leakage thru the bulbs. The unit i used was pretty explicit about that.
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Working...
          X