what to do object in cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do object in cylinder

so today i was doing a tune up on my b6t, i wanted to check the gaps on my plugs because the car has been breaking up lately, so i took a air gun blew all the dirt and dust off the valve cover so none of it would get in the cylinders i took my by-pass valve off and intake arm to reach 2 of the plugs and i checked each plug one by one the plugs looked good but the plugs where only gapped to .030 where as the manual said .044 is what they should be so one by one i gapped each plug i went to reasemble everything and i noticed the nylon washer was missing from the vaccum line that goes to my by-pass valve, i looked every where for this little 1/4 nylon washer and cant find it any where i tried blowing around to see if it would shoot out from some where and i cant find it, there may be a slight possibility it may have fell in one of the cylinders. like i said i first blew every thing, then took each plug wire and spark plug out 1 by 1 so im almost sure it didnt fall in but i just want to be sure i dont want to mess anything up what do you think? i was going to see if i could barrow a scope from a friend (if he has one) and look down each cylinder just to be 100% i was wondering do you think i should disconect the coil and injectors and crank it to see if it flys out the turbo exhaust side? me and a friend where also thinking of pulling the plugs and cranking to see if it would shot out the plug hole. like i said its just a little nylon washer. i guess the purpose of that washer is to make it a air tight seal? do you know where i can find a new plastic nylon washer? just my luck nothing ever goes right doe!

1. a long thin wire bent into a hook on the end might fish it out it if it's in there. I'd push the wire in until it hits bottom, twist it around, and pull it up several times.

2. if this nylon floats in oil then pouring oil into the cylinder might float something up where it can be retrieved. I imagine cranking the engine to flush out the oil before starting the engine?

This reminds me of a true story about a piece of metal which fell down into a pipe on a multi-million dollar construction job creating a monster headache until some kid suggested filling the pipe with mercury to float the metal bit out of the pipe.

Good luck. I hope if you don't find it in the cylinder it's because it isn't there.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

yea i was thinking of useing a stick with some vasoline to get it out but i need to know if it is in there or not for sure. the oil sounds like a good idea but i dont know how to flush the oil out with out it all going through the turbo i would think it may screw something up?

Comment

Spin the engine over with the spark plugs out of it. It should blow out the washer. If it doesn't, I don't see where it will hurt a thing to blow on through the exhaust valve.

Comment

Or a stick with tape on the end.

David

Comment

you dont think it wold hurt the turbo? i was thinking of disconecting the injectors and coil and cranking, does the turbo spin if the car is just being cranked?

Comment

the manifold must come off.......if you are going to try and blow it out. YOU WILL DAMGAE THE TURBO if it's on there when you try and spin it out.
              you want to blend in?, drive a honda
              92l festy car, original owner.
              2008 xls mitsubishi outlander
              1987 nissan diesel truck

Comment

If the nylon washer landed in the cylinder....no problem....it will last about 2 minutes before it's totally vaporized.

Where to find a repalcement....Car Quest or NAPA have assortments....I have even seen assortments at box stores used for drain plug seals. Plastic washers will also be available at a local hardware store...ACE...TRUE VALUE...SERVICE STAR...in the hardware aisle wher they have the compartmentized cadboard drawers of misc hardware...typically Hillman brand.
                Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

That turbo is spun by super hot exhaust gas. There's nothing in that turbo that can be damaged by a piece of soft nylon that, like Joe said will be almost instantly vaporized.

Now, if you dropped a piece of steel in the cylinder and wanted to blow it on through, I'd say you could have a real problem inside that turbo.

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
                  you dont think it wold hurt the turbo? i was thinking of disconecting the injectors and coil and cranking, does the turbo spin if the car is just being cranked?

Comment

i'll tell you what,..... YOU can run what ever you want through YOUR turbo........I would never NEVER run anything through mine................plastic through a fan going how fast????........that is simply bad advice in MY opinion.

turbo's are designed for air.........not debris......
                    you want to blend in?, drive a honda
                    92l festy car, original owner.
                    2008 xls mitsubishi outlander
                    1987 nissan diesel truck

Comment

well i put it back together today i did a few a dry cranks everything sounded ok, so i fired it up and everything seems to be o.k. the car is running great gapping the plugs made a big diffrence, so i dont think it was in the cylinder and if it was hopefullly it just burned up, thanks for all the input if any thing changes ill let u guys know

Comment

10-1 when you back the car out the washer will be lying there on the ground.
                        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

where can i see pics of your car hot wheels?

Comment

theres some i had to search my screen name theres more but there way back i was on page 18 of all my post and found those

Comment

Working...
                            X