Vacuum Canister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum Canister

I want to remove my vacuum canister, and cap off all of the vacuum hoses going to it. Would there be any problems with this?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
    Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
    White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
    White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
    Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
    Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
    Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
    White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

haha alexander, too true. If they put it on the car, it's probably there for a reason, car companies don't waste money on cars that they do not need to. besides rusting agents in the metal to make ur car rust faster so you have to buy another sooner :S
      The festiva is a very good car in the customer satisfaction area, something that is slowly dying.
      If removing the vaccum canister is a good idea in any way, somone on this forum would have done it before u and recommended. there are some very bright minds on this website.
      Proud owner of 92L, 350KM, Home made muffler, sounds like a truck! 16 years without replacement of anything but filters! 5spd EFI, Anyone else's shifter look like its from a quarter-ton?

Comment

Is that the charcoal cannister on the driver's side fender? It's there to hold gas fumes and send them back to the cylinders for burning. When the engine starts up it sucks the fumes out of the cannister. It's just to keep the fumes from getting out and polluting the atmosphere, and just possibly improve fuel economy a wee bit.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yeah....why? Unless you have a leaking gas cap there is no reason to remove the canister form the circuit. Actually, the ECU expects the enriched vapor to enter the manifold when the purge solenoid is energized. I can only for see problems arising form removing the canister form the circuit. Unless the canister is leaking.
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I removed the canister, capped off the vacuum leaks, and the car runs just fine. I don't smell any fuel. I'm not positive, but it seems to have fixed an irractic idle that moved a couple hundred rpms up, and down. Fuel mileage is exactly the same. The engineers were wrong about this one.

Comment

what can i say??????

I guess all I can say or do is laugh. lol lol lol
              A Horse, A Horse my kingdom for a Horse. (well maybe just a rust free festy will do)

94 Aspire (waiting for a face lift thanks to a deer)
              88 festiva (16 year olds ride)
              93 festiva (my ride)
              94 jeep yj (waiting for heart transplant)
              94 cadillac sedan deville (the wife's ride)

Comment

No....the engineer said
                Originally posted by jglutz View Post
                Unless the canister is leaking.
                And the engineer would have pobalbly just unpluged the solenoid.
                Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

no canister

Cars engines don't need computer controls to run.
                  Cars don't need vacuum canisters to run.
                  I need the space where the canister was to put one of my 20 different horns.
                  Beep, Beep.

Comment

FWIW, I think there are two different "canisters" being discussed. The vacuum advance canister - which would be better capped off if the diaphragms are leaking, and the evap charcoal canister that does not have vacuum lines going to it anyway.
                    I'm going to come at you like a spider monkey!
                    White 1993 L plus, 5 speed - 47k miles
                    * Aspire brake swap, 14" Miata wheels & Tein coliover suspension

Comment

Working...
                    X