gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas tank

my gas tank decided to start to leak on the top doe anyone know how to tell the differnce between a fi tank and a carbed tank i have a gas tank in my storage but i dont know what its for
    1989 Ford Ranger 177 2.9
    2001 hyundai accent 1.6 DOHC

differences

The FI tank has a wider 4-3/4" flange on top for the pump/fuel gauge combo.
    The carbed tank has a narrower 4" flange on top, because it just has a tube going down to the bottom. They are not interchangeable.
    You can also tell by the electrical connector.
    Carb tank has 2 contacts, FI tank has 3 contacts (pump, sender and ground).
    Last edited by bravekozak; 08-14-2008, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Also, the 2 door Aspire uses the same gas tank as the Festiva. The 4 door won't work, however. Or at least no one's tried it. It's a different part number.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

If its leaking from the top then it might just be the filler hose or the gasket around the pickup. You shouldnt need to replace the tank for that. Theres an inspection plate under the back seat (under the carpet) you might want to check the pickup first might save some work.

Comment

since we are on the subject of gas tanks is there a bigger gas tank that you could put in?

Ford Festiva L
          Automatic

Comment

^^^no, not without fabrication.
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

man that stinks well i was thinking about putting a gas tank behind my back seat but if i ever get hit from behind i would explode...

Ford Festiva L
              Automatic

Comment

Particularly since you're in the rust belt, what is probably leaking is the line that is attached to the drivers side of the tank. This has happened to two of my carbureted Festivas. I never determined whether that tube is simply soldered to the top of the tank, and can be bypassed with a section of tubing, or if there's a T in the middle going back into the tank. If the former, then it was done this way to somehow make assembly easier at the factory. If the latter, it must be part of the evaporative recovery system. Does anyone know which is the correct alternative.

Also, are aftermarket tanks available?

Comment

Yes. Rock Auto has the Carb tank for 126.00 for example. Also, I have had a couple of tanks in the past that rusted at the seam too. Fill above 1/2 tank, you have a leak.

Michael
                  Have owned 9 so far
                  White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                  Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                  Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                  Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                  Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

That sounds like the problem I have, I just haven't had the time to look at it. I guess I should spend a bit of time this weekend, eh?
                    2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
                    1991 Ford Festiva LX
                    1989 Mazda 323 GT

Comment

The tube is a straight shot to the line above, likely there to get a better seal on the body.
                      All mine had leaks in the seam as shown, never the tube.

Michael
                      Have owned 9 so far
                      White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                      Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                      Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                      Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Working...
                      X