Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've got the trans out. What else should I check while its out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got the trans out. What else should I check while its out?

Hello all,
    It has been along time since posting. I'm swapping my old 5 speed for a newer 5 speed. I already have changed the clutch and all the other goodies that go with the clutch kit. My question is what else should I check or service since I already have the trans out? It wasn't that bad taking it out but since it's out I figured I should see if there is any common things to check. Your wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Denny

Since you have it out already, I would replace the oil seals for the axles.
    1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
    2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

You just beat me to it b3! I would definately do the oil seals while you have it out, and look at the washers/bushings in the shifter linkage where it connects to the tranny in both spots. If you have excessive play in them, you can replace them with neoprene washers and it will tighten up your shifter considerably.
      90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
      92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
      94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
      94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

Consider the rear main engine seal too. If it starts to leak you will need to do all of this removal over again. Be sure to get the flywheel machined for the new clutch. I assume you have a new throughout bearing, as it usually comes with the clutch.
        Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
        Icetiva-3-race-car-build
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

I've got a new throw out bearing but I don't see any grooves in the flywheel. Should I still get it resurfaced?

Thanks,
          Denny

Comment

While it is out of the way, I would look at the front brake hard lines, and replace them if needed. The drivers side usually get rusted where it passes through to the fender well, and you have lots of room to do it right now. Also would look at the rack boots, and inner tie rods.

Michael
            Have owned 9 so far
            White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
            Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
            Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
            Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
            Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

while you have it up...have you looked into an aspire swap?
              89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

What method did you use to get the axles out?
                Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

While the tranny is out. I would take the throw-out bearing fork off....pull the pivot shaft...clean the shaft with some steel wool or scotch-brite and reassemble with a light film of hi-temp grease.

Also...on the tranny housing...near the starter or clutch cable bracket is where one of the main engine grounds is attached. I would clean that area up to insure a good ground.

Did your clutch kit come with a pilot bearing? It is a small bronze sleeve that fits into the end of the crankshaft. I always change them when I change the clutch.

Did you examine the flywheel surface. I only re-surface them if they are scored form rivots, deeply discolored or heat checked. If it is just glazed...a quick pass with 80 grit does the job.
                  Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                  The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Thanks for everybody's help. There was no scoring on the flywheel so I used the sandpaper method. To get the axles out I used a cold chisel and a sledge hammer, then I hit and rotate. It only took two or three GOOD wacks to get them out. I was thinking about an aspire swap only I just put brand new calipers on the car so I'm going to wait. The brake lines were rusted but looks O.k. for now.

How do I know when I need wheel bearings replaced?

Thank you,
                    Denny

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicguy View Post
                      How do I know when I need wheel bearings replaced?
                      Usually you hear them. A low whup whup whup sound, starting only when you corner and growing to all the time as they get worse, or a higher pitched continuous whiny steel sound. Grinding and thumping when you spin them by hand is another sure sign. When they are real bad the hubs move when you grab them and try to twist them. Or you just replace them when you replace the brakes, but in these cars, with the hub design they have, that is not the most obvious time. Hence your question, of course.
                      Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
                      Icetiva-3-race-car-build
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

I got 136k/15years on my original factory bearings until they got noisy.
                        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

For what else to do - as long as the trans is out, and particularly since you have the crossmember off, take a good hard look at the brake lines to the rear. They rust out where they pass down inside the crossmember and make the last bend before going straight under the floor. It's a pain, but better to do it now when the area is open vs. later. (Been there!) If you don't have a flaring tool to make your own tubing, beware that you're going to need Japanese style tubing (=metric threads) and that most auto parts stores at least around here do not sell unions - they all want to sell you adapters for using US tubing going into metric ports. I guess you can do it that way, but it is irritating. I had to go to an import parts store to find metric unions (and then of course I finally found my flaring tool!)

Comment

Working...
                          X