Easiest way to replace Timing Belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest way to replace Timing Belt?

My Haynes manual says that I need to remove the passenger side front tire, and that inner splash shield to access the bolts on the crank pulley and crank sprocket.

Just lookin' at it, it seems like this would be a waste of time.

Any advice would be nice.
    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

easiest thing for you to do is....give me the car and then go buy another one....just a thought....lol
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

^ R:laughing5:FL ^
      Steve GT

Comment

don't have to do any of that, just crank the wheel to the right and remove the lower plastic. you'll have all the room you need, just make sure you have a fairly long philips head with a good tip, it helps, ALOT.

i described what i did and what i needed (tools) in another thread, i'll see if i can find it.

here it is: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...g+belt+replace
        Last edited by FestYboy; 08-16-2008, 01:40 AM.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I always take the wheel and shield off. It takes all of about two minutes and gives you lots of room to work. The crankshaft bolt can be tough to get off with a ratchet, so I always use an impact wrench. That might be tough to do with the wheel on.
          To get an impact wrench on the crank bolt, you need to lower the engine by loosening up the motor mount(three large nuts right above the alternator). Support the engine with jack.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this way works for me.

Comment

So you're trying to save 5 minutes on an hour and a half job by not removing the wheel?

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
            BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
            BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
            New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I'm with matt and gdawgs on this, take the few minutes to do the job right, or you can always take Genevadirt up on his offer!
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I think I used the Phillips head bit on the breaker bar instead of using a screwdriver.
                Can't remember if there was enough space to use the ratchet on those screws.
                In my case there was enough room to drop the pulley when I put a pry bar on the
                upper engine mount and gave the engine a shove out of the way. I didn't have to loosen the mounting bolt. To reinstall the pulley was positioned above and the engine given another shove. It dropped back into place.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                X