Help with shifter linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with shifter linkage

I just picked up an 89 festiva last week and besides a bad clutch the shifter has so much play in it i couldn't get into 2nd gear without having the seat all the way back.

I did a search and it looks like noone has been able to find replacement bushings.

Does anyone know if bushings from another vehicle would work or any other things i can do to stiffen up the linkage. Right now there are absolutely no bushings left its all metal on metal at each joint.

On a side note, i've done some searching about waht trannys to use with engine swaps what if i wanted to swap the tranny first will the f or g trannies bolt up to the b3 without any mods? what flywheel and clutch would i use, the b3 or for the car the tranny came from or for the engine i plan to swap?

My dilema is that i need to fix some things right away but i dont want to pay for repairs and then pay again when i do a swap.

Thanks for any help

-Rob

It appear FestivaWES as some advise on this and a comment on it performace!

Originally posted by festivaWES View Post
    shifter linkage bushings is what your looking for.....call fms get them and the pacsetter short throw kit i have it and it tight as a cats butthole :shock:

And do youself a favor and put you location in your profile.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

A cat's butthole eh?

I like kitteh's.

Edit:
      DO NOT Take that the wrong way.
      Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Thanks anomaly798,
        There are a number of members in FL and maybe one in Sarasota, I think!
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by anomaly798 View Post
          On a side note, i've done some searching about waht trannys to use with engine swaps what if i wanted to swap the tranny first will the f or g trannies bolt up to the b3 without any mods? what flywheel and clutch would i use, the b3 or for the car the tranny came from or for the engine i plan to swap?

My dilema is that i need to fix some things right away but i dont want to pay for repairs and then pay again when i do a swap.

Thanks for any help

-Rob

the f or g series trannies will bolt to the B3, B6, B6D, B6T, BP, which ever engine tranny combo you want to go with, they will bolt together, you'll need to make mounts for them though, which ever tranny you use, the flywheel/clutch needs to match the tranny

I.E. if you use an f-series tranny, use the flywheel/clutch from the car the tranny came out of

you shouldn't need to upgrade the tranny if you still have the stock engine

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Well one thing i knew that was wrong with the car was the clutch was going. So it seems like the best idea would be to just find an F tranny and get a clutch and pressure plate for that and then when i swap motors down the road i will be all set in the tranny department.

thanks for the info i am going to go to the junkyard this weekend and see if i can find an f tranny

-rob

Comment

ford has them...... $15 EACH

and there is 4 if I rember correctly
              89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
              RIP 90LX

Comment

Why are you having problems finding them? I bought mine from Mazda, part # B001-46-062. They list for 3.75 ea. I have to ask though, it sounds like you need to get the shifter pulled back up into the socket instead to start with. Grab the handle of the shifter and PULL HARD! See if it will pop back in first. If it is too worn, there is a bracket that can be fabbed up easily underneath that will hold it up if that is the problem.

Michael
                Have owned 9 so far
                White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Working...
                X