Engine makeing noise..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine makeing noise..

okay my engine is makeing the noise like it's out of oil but not all the time i know little about engine's and checked the basics but i don't know whats wrong... in a month i should be getting some money and swapping out the engine but i need this one to last till then also there is some one i know who wants to buy it and if it craps out he won't want it.. so what do i need to check or do..

Ford Festiva L
    Automatic

drrr...have you checked the oil?
    89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

lifter clatter is common in abused or very worn festiva motors, at least the 4 ive owned so far, 3 carbed one fi, just watch the oil level and make sure its topped off, my fi had one weak lifter and if the car wasnt started one a week or less the thing would stick and id be running on 3 cylinders till the oil pressure came up, the other three clattered like diesels and two of them consumed a quart of 50 weight every 1000 miles or less, depending on how fast i went, put about 30k miles on one, 90k on the other, soo unless youre lights coming on, i wouldnt worry too much, i installed a pressure gauge on the last one, sold it for parts when it refuesed to show more n 45 psi, havent gotten my latest one going yet.
      is not sposed ta do that...
      05 subaru legacy gt
      1991 nissan nx2000(almost awesome as a festiva, my first failed mtx)
      1988(?) festiva LX 5spd (rescued from crusher,aspire swap done, working on turbocharging the 1.3...)

Comment

sorry I couldn't help myself...have you figured out where exactly the sound is coming from?
        89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

Originally posted by solatare View Post
          the other three clattered like diesels and two of them consumed a quart of 50 weight every 1000 miles or less, depending on how fast i went,
          not sure about the oil consumption but the earlier carbed had solid lifters and make noise....just the way they are.
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

whats the noise from

my 88 has only 20,000 on the motor and rattles to beat the band. like joe dirt's dad say's IT JUST DOES.
            A Horse, A Horse my kingdom for a Horse. (well maybe just a rust free festy will do)

94 Aspire (waiting for a face lift thanks to a deer)
            88 festiva (16 year olds ride)
            93 festiva (my ride)
            94 jeep yj (waiting for heart transplant)
            94 cadillac sedan deville (the wife's ride)

Comment

If you stick a piece of garden hose in your ear and touch the other end to different places on the engine you can tell where the different noises are loudest. A stick of wood will also work. It would help if you could describe the noise - clicking, thumping,. buzzing, etc. As mentioned the engines on these small cars tend to be noisy but not really loud.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

There's something in the Haynes manual about adjusting noisy rockers. I don't have it with me but I recall skimming over that part.
                Remember "I" before "E", except as in Budweiser.

Comment

My '93 rattles sometimes.. sometimes not. Most of the time it's smooth and quiet. Never uses oil. In the past, I added a oz of Bar s Leaks which quieted it down almost instantaneously. The clatter seems to come and go whenever the wind blows the right way... I just started ignoring it when it wants to act up as long as the engine feels right, the temp is good and the fluids are filled.

Kinda like that slight rattle coming from the hatch area that comes and goes and I can never seem to locate. I did find that if I opened the rear windows the rattle goes away, but it's not the windows rattling.

Comment

yeah it's topped off with oil i keep an eye on that.. it sounds kinda like a sewing machine but not all the time just some times... but lately it's been doing it more and more and sound worse and worse.. so i'm assuming it's not just the way the engine is...

Ford Festiva L
                    Automatic

Comment

You may want to check the rocker assembly and make sure it is not loosening up on you. Other then that you may want to start thinking about replacing the lifters....could also be one or more of those starting to wear out and loose it's spring....lol
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

so on a scale of 1 to 10 how hard would both of them be...

Ford Festiva L
                        Automatic

Comment

Pulling the valve cover and checking or replacing either or both is very easy.
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Neither one are too difficult. Remove the valve cover and you can check the bolts on the rocker shaft assemblies. Then you can push down on the rocker arms at the valve end. If you can move them while pushing down then it is time to either repair or replace the hydraulic lash adjusters (lifters) that are located in the end of the rocker arm on the valve end. It would probably be advised to make sure the rocker arms you are checking are on closed valves so as not to have the lash adjusters preloaded. I just did mine on an '89 automatic at the begining of this month. I paid $143.42 for all of them including the gasket and tax. Hope this helps.

Comment

yeah i'm lost... urm i kinda know but well that price is discouraging me to look... cause even if i fix this engine i'm only getting 150 for it... but i don't know if this is going to last till i get my next engine...

Ford Festiva L
                              Automatic

Comment

Working...
                              X