Changing carbed to efi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing carbed to efi

The head on my 89 carbed is cracked so now I have about a 900 dollar paperwieght in my driveway. I can't find a new head from anywhere but a guy near me has a fuel injection motor for sale. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are. I am fairly good mechanic just not a lot of experience with festivas. I am new to this but I love the little car and I don't want to sell it but I am at the end of the road if no one else has some suggestions. Thanks

You would need to change the gas tank also. Need the ecu from the efi car.
    There is an 89 carbed at the pull-a-part by me. Only thing is I have no idea whether or not there was an issue with the engine. It looks to me like it was there because of the damage though. They want like $45.00 for it complete.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Why not just transfer the carbed stuff to the fuel injected one. My 89 has a fuel injected motor in it, with the carbed components put on it. The previous owner did it and it runs just fine.
      1960 willys pickup
      1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
      1989 festiva
      1990 festiva for parts
      1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

He needs the head, his is cracked and the efi head is not set up for fuel pump and carb.
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
          He needs the head, his is cracked and the efi head is not set up for fuel pump and carb.
          I guess i missed something somewhere. The 90 model i am useing for parts has a fuel injected motor in it. pulled the valve cover a few months ago to take the rockers off and noticed it had a fuel pump excentric on the cam and a cover that can be removed where the fuel pump would go if it was carbed.
          1960 willys pickup
          1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
          1989 festiva
          1990 festiva for parts
          1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Can you not get the head repaired or is it not cost effective?

Comment

Originally posted by worfdog View Post
              I guess i missed something somewhere. The 90 model i am useing for parts has a fuel injected motor in it. pulled the valve cover a few months ago to take the rockers off and noticed it had a fuel pump excentric on the cam and a cover that can be removed where the fuel pump would go if it was carbed.
              I have seen people here mention before they had a plate on theirs too. Not sure which ones that would be. There is a guy selling completely remanufactured heads on ebay at this moment. 2 of them and they state right in the description will not work with carbed. He should try and contact the guy....he is also in Washington...maybe he has others.
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              I will sleep when I die!

Comment

All festivas have cam lobes for the fuel pump. Aspires do not. Even if they didn"t you could find a new head and put your old cam in it.

Comment

Working...
                X