"Room Fuse" Circuit Short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Room Fuse" Circuit Short

When I first bought this car (91GL) there was a short that was draining the battery. The short was found to be in the circuits that are supplied constant battery power by the "Room Fuse" (interior lighting, door buzzers, etc.) The mechanic said he thought it was in the dome light but wasn't sure. I've been driving around with the fuse pulled with no problems and ran a seperate 10a fused line from the battery to supply the stereo and satellite receiver. The door buzzers do strange things though and with the fuse in they don't work at all. Strange I think. I also notice on the wiring diagram that this fuse also feed into the engine control system.

1) Will leaving the fuse out affect engine control in any way?

2) Is this a common issue? If so where are the likely places to look for trouble?

I'm pretty sure that only the dome light and cargo-area light receive positive 12 volts from the "room fuse." The door switches are in the grounding lead or wire. Pull the dome light connector. Same for the cargo-area light. If the short is eliminated with either of the connections broken, you've found the problem. If not, the short is somewhere upstream along the wire path. Like I mentioned in another electrical post, rig up a 12 volt lamp to temporarily replace the fuse. It will go out when the short is isolated. Saves fuses.

By door buzzers , do you mead seat belt warning buzzer?

Comment

Working...
    X