anybody ever done this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody ever done this

anybody ever cross-thread the back bolts to the cross member?? I have no idea what to do now. they thread right up into the body and I have no idea how they started wrong, but they sure did.. I'm going to cry....91 gl

Remove the bolt and get a tap and run the tap thru. Maybe you might get lucky. I'm not sure what bolt you're referring to but you also might be able to weld the parts together.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Sometimes you can restart the bolt straight and it will go on in straight. If that doesn't work and the threads are destroyed to the point a thread chaser won't straighten things up, you can drill/tap to the next SAE thread oversize maybe.

I too do not know which bolt you are referring to.

Comment

If Matswabb suggestion doesn't work out, going to a similar size SAE thread and bolt might work. You'd have to "create" a shouldered bolt tho. I did this on the front two by machining some fat and thick spacers out of aluminum bar stock. Helicoil thread inserts are an option. Requires a special Helicoil tap so the repair might be a little pricey for just two holes.

Comment

You can also buy these things that go into the whole and replace the threads with a new metal. They look like little springs, and stick in with loctight. Can't for the life of me remember what they are called.

Comment

those spring thingys are helicoils.. i say a cross thread is a tight thread... i say tighten it up and worry about it if you have to take it apart again. but thats just me not a good enough repair for most people.
            YOU WILL HEINZ 57!!!!

Comment

Thank you ketchup you rock

Comment

Working...
              X