Ignition Wire Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Wire Problem

I have 1993 Ford Festiva. I replaced the ignition wires about 8 months ago and when I did I noticed the wire from the coil to the distributor was pretty tight(not much slack). Now, this wire is coming loose from the coil as a result of engine vibration. It is getting irritating. Has anyone had this problem and/or found a solution for it? I'd like to avoid getting new wires every 8 months if possible?
    1993 Festiva GL
    new fuel pump
    97 B3 swapped in by Eurotiva

Not uncommon. With the wire disconnected. Slide or roll the boot back....you may witness a slight gap in the ferrule that can be carefully spread to insure a tighter fit. Many times I have just placed the connector back in place and installed a 'ty-rap' around the boot.
    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I actually made the guy at AZ give me a differant coil wire...I showed him how short his set was and he said ok....lol...I have had them do that everytime except for the last time. The manager was a new guy and would not do it...lol. But the wires are free to replace anytime you want to so I stop periodically and just swap them right in the parking lot.... Takes longer to walk into the store then it does to swap them....lol.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Autozone and Advance sell individual wires. Buy one wire that fits better.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

Ok, I got a longer ignition wire, but the engine is still misfiring. There was some corrosion on the coil/wire contact so I cleaned that up a little but it did not help. Is it possible the coil is bad as well? It seems rather coincidental that the coil would go bad the same time as the wire gets yanked out. I can also hear sparking from the coil. No visible sparks, but you can definitely hear it after the car is running for about 30 seconds.
          1993 Festiva GL
          new fuel pump
          97 B3 swapped in by Eurotiva

Comment

try looking at night with the lights off (lights in garage/outside), if it is arcing you should see it.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
            X