Interior (Dome) Light Not Working Properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior (Dome) Light Not Working Properly

When I open the door my buzzer goes off, but my light doesn't turn on. I've checked the bulb and it was fine. I replaced it anyway. Still nothing. Any suggestions? Is there a fuse?

Aaron
    '92 Festiva: BP01

there is a fuse but also check that the metal bracket that holds light is grounded properly.Use ohm meter to check from bracket to metal part of car.

Comment

also if you are getting continuity, but you have to scratch the contact with the probe to get it, take a little emery board (brown fingernail file) and scuff up the contacts a bit.. mine didn't work either luckily it was just bad contact.

Comment

OK, I just got my multimeter back today. Hopefully I can get this working again. It's annoying w/o a dome light!

Aaron

Comment

Dome light

Mine used to only work in the "always on" position. So I cleaned the crud off the contacts and now I have to wiggle the lever and hold it in place if I want the dome light to stay on. Can I move the contacts closer to the lever somehow?

Oh well :roll: I'll just keep a flashlight in the glove compartment
          I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

my dome light used to give me problems, at first it only flickered ocasionally and then it would hardly ever go on... it was the fuse. i poped a new one in and its working fine in any position since.
            Nate
            ----------
            Personal Gallery: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forum/alb...hp?user_id=122

Comment

Since you're in MN and it's winter, I suspect the door switch. Based on many years experience and several Festivas, the contacts seem to lose contact with age and when it gets cold. Will it work inside a heated garage?

In the summer, different problems seem to happen. I made a 1500 mi trip to VT last summer, and the only problem the whole trip was the dome light died when I needed to read a map - the little ball bearing in the switch disintegrated. The white plastic that the base is made of doesn't seem to hold up very well. There's an easy upgrade unit but I've forgotten what it comes from.

(PS: Crimony! The officious spellchecker just redlined Festivas!)

John

Comment

well since you've given me a good reply I guess I'll give you the link to the upgrade map lamp. http://projectmazda.com/festiva/tech...ight/index.htm
                The guy who made this site is actually a member here. My dome light doesn't work even if I flick it to ON. I have already taken the door switches apart and cleaned them up. No luck. I'm testing for continuity tonight.

Aaron

Comment

see Wil's article forum..

Comment

Interior light.

Same thing with me. I removed cover, remove 2 screw (it was arcing on the screw byt he way) disconnect plug. Used contact cleaner and fine emery cloth to buff the bearing contacts and the leads... re-installed it... np.

Comment

Working...
                    X