cv joint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cv joint?

My festy makes a loud clicking sound from the front suspension whenever I turn. Indicative of a bad cv joint? Should I get this fixed right away or is it something that I can live with?

Your diagnosis is correct. I would repair it as soon as possible because you know if it lets go it will do it in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night in a raging hailstorm! :wink:

Pick up a rebuilt half shaft and replace the whole thing rather than repair one CV joint. Replace the seal in the transmission at the same time.

Good luck

Ian
    92 GL Sport
    Calgary
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

How hard is it/what all is invovled in replacing the half shaft?

Comment

I would call around ,, most cities have a shop that does CV axles for "$99" and up installed ,, well you just got lucky because the Festy uses the cheap axles.. if you haven't changed them before in another car I'd take it to a shop ... you probably can't buy the axle at your local parts store for much less than they'll do the job for... on my car they rebuilt the existing axle in about 20 minutes as they didn't have a replacement on-hand, new balls and cage ,, new boot ,, all shot blasted clean and painted .. looked just like new and was installed in about 1 hour... the one problem that seems common is that removing them is quite difficult due to the retaining ring not having enough spring/give ,, don't be surprised if the mechanic uses a very big prybar to get the old one out... BTW ,, you will lose some tranny fluid .. on a manual trans Festy you fill via the speedo cable opening.

Comment

Working...
        X