No announcement yet.

Calling All Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an '88 carb'd Festiva, and have hadn't any fuel delivery probs yet.

I hear there's an inlet screen in the tank that may become clogged. I'd make sure there's gas in the tank, and then check to make sure it flows out of the tank. Disconnect the hose between the filter and pump, put a suction gun on the hose and see if you get a siphon action started.

If you don't have a suction gun, you could use a length of clear surgical tubing and try a mouth siphon. Watch for gas coming in the tube, you don't want to taste any of it. It's nasty!
    Last edited by BigElCat; 09-08-2008, 06:18 PM.
    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Not to be smart, but it's not out of gas is it?
      No offense taken, that is a good question to ask....it does have gas. (perhaps a Beano?)

Upon further experimentation this afternoon, I discovered that the old pump wasn't completely bad, just near impossible to actuate. I used a screwdriver to actuate the plunger and was able to move fuel thru the pump...then I tried that with the standard actuator and snapped it off! So I tried using the screwdriver with the new pump and the plunger went in and out quite easily, but moved no fuel. I am now convinced I have a bad pump from the parts house. I am returning it tomorrow for replacement and hope that by this time tomorrow I will be able to tell you all about my first drive in the Baron.
      1989 Red L- The Baron
      www.letstalkbeatles.com
      Link to Baron Pics:
      http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nmervap/Baron/
      1990 White GL- Chuck (for now)

Comment

my first festiva was carbed, and it did not have this spacer, i had to replace the pump about every 20k miles because they would either freeze up or blow out, it also would leak oil randomly, my current festiva is carbed(for now) and i went out and looked at it, that one is also missing the spacer, guess i should try n find one.
        is not sposed ta do that...
        05 subaru legacy gt
        1991 nissan nx2000(almost awesome as a festiva, my first failed mtx)
        1988(?) festiva LX 5spd (rescued from crusher,aspire swap done, working on turbocharging the 1.3...)

Comment

Working...
        X