drive shaft removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drive shaft removal?

im swappin engines and i need to know how to take the drive shafts off what is the process and so on any help is appreciated thanks
    93 GL Auto black 183,000 miles
    93 astro maroon 210,000 miles
    90 dakota 5 spd blue 212,000
    02 acura tl type S blue 121,000
    05 Tahoe Z71 BLK 89,000

Can I do it MONSOON? Please? Please? Pretty please? USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION, YOU MIGHT LEARN SOMETHING. This might help you though http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16102

Comment

Ive been told to cool my jets when it comes to newbies and their questions. But alas I see I now have others taking up the torch for me.:thumbleft:

Just be sure to read the links in the thread shown. And be careful when removing the axles. You can, if not careful crack the tranny case.
      Last edited by MONSOON; 09-06-2008, 08:22 PM.
      Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
      - Unknown
      I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
      - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
      - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Here's the quick start....
        1) Loosen the and remove the spindle nuts
        2) Raise and support the car
        3) Drain the tranny.
        4) Pull the wheels.
        5) Ddisconnect the tie rods at the wheel.
        6) Remove the front sway Bar (sort of optional)
        7) disconnect the lower control arm at the wheel
        8) THe wheel is now only connected to the car by the strut, slide/pull the wheel away from the car, off of the drive shaft spline.
        9) Grab the axel behind the CV boot and yank it straight out of the transmission. You may have to per-suade it a little with a pry-driver at the tranny housing.
        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Two-Four,
          Buying a manual might pay divdends later.
          I recommend the Haynes and/or the Ford manual.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

geez sorry for asking a damn question i thought thats KINDA what this site was for.... And i did search but i was unable to find any info on the subject but thanks jglutz i appreciate the help
            05 Tahoe Z71 BLK 89,000

Comment

Originally posted by TWO-FOUR View Post
              geez sorry for asking a damn question i thought thats KINDA what this site was for.... And i did search but i was unable to find any info on the subject
              Yeah, I'm sorry you did to!
              So your "swapin engines" but don't know how to remove axle shafts!
              Seems somewhat odd!
              Actually, you can swap the engine without removing the tranny or axles.
              But since you have neglected to provide any details of your "swapin" we don't know if this is an option or not!
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

geez sorry for asking a damn question i thought thats KINDA what this site was for.... And i did search but i was unable to find any info on the subject but thanks jglutz i appreciate the help
                turns out some people have nothing better to do but to bust peoples nads for asking a simple question. Not everybody has the time to read 350 results on axle AND removal or the other variants of the particular search. Myself being one of them. Youll learn there is a wealth of knowledge here, You just have to take a beating in time or verbally to get it. The search on most sites its basically useles whether its a festiva site, mustang site, camaro site, yodeling site etc.. Just dont be afraid to ask a question online someone with knowledge will try and give you a hand. And yes like pu241 said a manual can do wonders. you can pick on up for less than 20 bucks.

As for your axles, get it up in the air ON JACK STANDS and pry the heck out of it at the tranny. I think it was designed ignorantly, should just use two bolts like the volkswagens(i think thats what im thinking of??) do.

good luck.
                91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
                00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
                88 gtx
                74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

Hey two-four, sorry if I offended you, just having a little fun. If you looked at the link I posted it will give you info about removing the shafts from the trans as that is what most people have trouble with. If its the hub end try http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...t=axle+removal theres some info about hub removal on aspire but basically the same. Try http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...+joint+removal . Another http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...+joint+removal . http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=hub+removal . See, I'm not such a bad bloke after all, just a typical aussie sense of humour.

Comment

yeah oh well if thats what they want to do have fun with it... and gareth69 no offense takin and thanks for the links i got the axles out of the trans but did not remove them from the wheel end. Question are the axles the same from a 93 injected auto to a 89 carbed 4 speed so i wont have to totally remove the axles? oh and sorry i diddnt totally explain what was being done from the get go ive got a 93 fuel injected with a auto tran and that motor is bad and i have a 89 carbed 4 speed that has a shot every thing pretty much except for the motor and tranny so im gonna swap them
                    05 Tahoe Z71 BLK 89,000

Comment

The axles should be the same between both cars. I have to know, how did you get the axles out of the trans without removeing them from the wheels first?
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

well im hopeing they are the same... and the axles just slid right out of the trans no force needed really. is that a bad indication of something?
                        05 Tahoe Z71 BLK 89,000

Comment

oh and all i did was take the tie rod ends off and the 2 bolts for each strut
                          05 Tahoe Z71 BLK 89,000

Comment

If you do have to swap axles all you need to do now is undo the axle nut and give the end of the shaft a wack towards the centre of the vehicle to fully remove them. When I do this I will remove the nut until the face of the nut is level with the end of the axle and then hit. This is done for two reasons, 1 so you don't accidentaly hit the threads and the other to help prevent mushrooming the end of the shaft if its a stubborn one.

Are you swapping the auto out for the 4 speed or are you leaving the auto in?
                            Last edited by gareth69; 09-08-2008, 03:23 AM. Reason: Spelt a word wrong.

Comment

Question are the axles the same from a 93 injected auto to a 89 carbed 4 speed so i wont have to totally remove the axles? oh and sorry i diddnt totally explain what was being done from the get go ive got a 93 fuel injected with a auto tran and that motor is bad and i have a 89 carbed 4 speed that has a shot every thing pretty much except for the motor and tranny so im gonna swap them
                              If you are using the complete motor/tranny out of the 89 I believe the axels are differant....the auto axels will not work with the 4 speed tranny.....but I hope someone clarifies that. I also believe there is a wiring/ecu issue between the auto efi / manual carb swap. ??
                              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                              89L Silver EFI auto
                              91GL Green Auto DD
                              There ain't no rest for the wicked
                              until we close our eyes for good.
                              I will sleep when I die!
                              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Working...
                              X