Wheel noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel noise

My Festy's back! It sports shiny new silver paint, 12" mags, bigger windows and a huge steering wheel that looks just like the one before!

but also a tick-tick sound from the front left wheel (the one that fell off due to a broken ball joint). I don't think it's the CV joint cause it does it all the time and not worse when I turn, it's a one tick per rotation thing. Could it be a wheel bearing? or maybe something out of adjsutment with the brakes!

I'm happy she's (finally) back after a one month absence.
    I will NOT drive a minivan

I experienced a similar thing. Turns out the little spring that holds the pins for the brake pads had broken and one of those pins was hitting the wheel.

I figured it out when it finally fell the whole way out.

But that's a start.
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

It could be something as simple as loose wheel nut(s) ... a wheel bearing would make noise at a rate greater than once per revolution... does the noise intensify at higher speeds or is it fairly constant? I'd start with the basics and re-torque all of the wheel nuts..

P.S. I doubt that you have magnesium wheels ,, they were outlawed for on-highway use in the US in the late 1960's (as were true "knock offs") for safety concerns .. magnesium is lightweight but very brittle and of course could create an intense , inextinguishable fire if your brakes became VERY overheated as could happen in racing conditions or on a very long downhill run..

Comment

It's more like 4 ticks per revolution (15 MPH, 2tics/s) and is not that loud, I can't hear it above 40 MPH. I think it doesn't go tick when I turn right, only straight and turn left. It's coming from the left wheel

I'll start by tightening the lug nuts and look for little loose springs on the brakes.

Now I need to get me a smaller diameter steering wheel, that thing's huge
        I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

pics! pics!
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
          X