Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticking Noise

Hi all,

I have a 97 festiva and in the last couple of weeks it has started making a ticking kind of sound in the engine bay. it seems to happen when the car is warmed up and mainly just when i accelerate!
    Can anyone help me as to what this might be??

Cheers

welcome to the board....by the year of your car I can only venture a guess that you are over seas. If you add your location to your profile it may help in the future and cut out a few questions each time. I am guessing that you have what we call an Aspire....I do not know much about them but I am sure you will get plenty of help as soon as a few see your post....maybe post up some more info you can think of while waiting for a response.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

How's the oil level?
      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Mine does it all the time.....oil level always where it needs to be. I'm wondering of the valves/springs/rockers etc need to be tightened/adjusted?

Comment

mine had been doing that for a while when i first got the car about two years ago.... took it in and found out that the injectors were a little clogged as well as the lifters were getting stuck. Put some injector cleaner in the car and then oiled up the lifters really good.. been driving it now for almost six or seven months.. and still no tick.. hope this works for ya.. it is a starting place for ya

Comment

i would just turn the radio up makes all noises go away. engines make noise
            YOU WILL HEINZ 57!!!!

Comment

Check around the exhaust manifold to head interface.

Comment

Think imateo44 has the right take on this!
                Would think it's primarily the injectors though, as I would have thought the lifters would tick worst when cold.
                Where as the injectors may not be able to follow enough fuel at higher rpm and start to "tick".
                Hey, chuck some fuel injection cleaner in and see what it does.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

It might be the solid lifters of a carbed engine that you hear. I believe the engines overseas still used solid lifter cams. I remember Roger telling me that is new engines that he brought from overseas had solid lifters.
                  Brian
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                  :fish:

Comment

Carb on a 97?
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                      Carb on a 97?
                      Possibly, overseas cars had carbs for quite awhile after we got EFI. They don't have the emmisiions restrictions we do.
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

I had a tick one time..found a bur at the oil port on the bore of one of the rockers. Picked it out with an exacto and stoned it smooth.
                        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

i'm with Mr McKown on this, check your exhaust!!
                          from your description, that's the most likely solution. all other suggestions would result in the sound being there at idle, accel, and decell, warm or cold.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm in Australia so maybe the cars are called different things.. Thanks you that!!

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                            welcome to the board....by the year of your car I can only venture a guess that you are over seas. If you add your location to your profile it may help in the future and cut out a few questions each time. I am guessing that you have what we call an Aspire....I do not know much about them but I am sure you will get plenty of help as soon as a few see your post....maybe post up some more info you can think of while waiting for a response.

Comment

My '91 festiva has it too, only when i accelerate at any speed,any temp.

Comment

Working...
                              X