Gauge Cluster woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge Cluster woes

Hey guys. Whenever I purchased my car, the speedo cable was cut, so I put in a new one. A few weeks later the speedo died, so I got a tach cluster from a j/y...Sunday night, as I watched my lights dim on my way back from SC as my Alt died, my speedo crapped out as well. The Odo/trip both work, but the speedo is stuck on 20mph, sometimes if comes back to life briefly, then back to 20mph or thereabouts. It seems to oscillate at the base of the needle, so I think something just came loose. Has anyone ever torn into one of these things? I'm temped to start removing things until I find the magic missing link...but I'd like it to work after I am done. Any idea? Anyone happen to have a schematic to one of these deals. Search turned up nothing, but I wasn't uber-diligent. Any help is much appreciated.
    Donovan

92 Festiva L stock with wheel upgrade...The Mater (Sold)
    '66 Galaxie 500 428 FE...Friend of OPEC
    '68 Mustang Coupe
    '63 Galaxie Country Sedan

Make sure your speedo cable is in all the way, also check the part that goes into the transmission. Check the speedo gear on the end of it, to make sure it isn't damaged, and that when you put it in all the way. The cable inside the casing can come out of the speedo gear part, or the cable can get streched, but very unlikely.

Comment

I think the speedo cable and alt light are un related problems....the reason why...if their is a problem with the new cluster or your installion of such....the alt is mich stronger than any probly thaat could be cause dby the cluster. If it was custe was the problem...a fuse would have blown.
      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I took mine apart a few times, it wasn't hard, just a bunch of screws. It might be that the metal coil is out of whack, but the most likely cause is the needle is lose on the speedo/tach. you should also check if you connected the cable all the way with the clip and everything. what kind of tach do you have? also check the cable where it connects to the tach...they are prone to coming lose. hope you figure it out.
        89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

there is a little washer that goes over the end of the cable and if it is missing the innercable will not seat into the tranny, therefore not working the speedo. Had that happen during one my swaps.....just a thought.
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Yeah, wasn't stating that the alt light and the cable were connected, just adding to the frustration of it all. One thing popped into my head, I cannot get the speedo gear out of the trans...took the bolt out...but the assembly is STUCK. When I backed up, before the speedo died, there was a popping sound. Is the speedo gear supposed to spin backward..or should it "idle" when I am backing up...and do you think the cable and all spinning backwards could be what is fragging my speedos? I'll have to pull it apart to see what is going on...I know the cable is engaged, as the odometer still works. Thanks for the suggestions. BTW I purchased an alt from wrestler3025, it's going in this weekend.
            Thanks,
            Donovan
            Last edited by edudu77; 09-17-2008, 10:02 PM. Reason: missed a word.

'68 Mustang Coupe

Comment

Hey Geneva, my new cable didn't come with the washer, and I wondered about that when I installed it. My old one was "misplaced" by my toddler/helper..most likely buried in the front yard. The cable end is a little different on the one I got from McParts, so perhaps it is compensated for in this difference...I will check this out though.
              Thanks,
              Donovan

'68 Mustang Coupe

Comment

Shipped out the alternator Priority mail this morning .
                90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
                92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
                94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
                94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

Awesome, thanks a lot!

'68 Mustang Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                    there is a little washer that goes over the end of the cable and if it is missing the innercable will not seat into the tranny, therefore not working the speedo. Had that happen during one my swaps.....just a thought.
                    i had a problem with my speedo cable not quite seated right in the tranny and my speedo jsut stopped working, i'd check the gear on the end of the speedo cable

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Okay, so I pulled the cluster and took it apart, tested the parts, and it is shot. I then took apart my old, non-tach cluster, which had the same issue. What do you know...same problem. I called a speedo repair shop, explained the symptoms and they said the bearing was bad...$245 to fix. Ummm yeah...soo, has anyone ever built a custom gauge cluster using an aftermarket speedo. I was looking at an Autometer..they have a mechanical to hall sensor do-dad that seems to hook straight into the tranny, any idea if it meshes with ours?
                      Donovan

'68 Mustang Coupe

Comment

wow, I'd say just get a new tach off ebay, they are going for about $40.
                        89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

Ya it would be way cheaper and easier to just buy a replacement, put a [WTB] in the for/sale section for one

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                          X