No announcement yet.

The BANE of my exsistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEHOLD!!! The True Bane of my exsistance!!

this is the bolt that holds up the ball joint...this is why it broke.YAAARRRGGG!!! look at how stripped it is. The bolt has gouges through it and the nut is round on the inside!
    89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

ouch... thats a bad bolt :lol:. maybe i need to look at my ball joints...
      89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
      92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
      New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Ha, I'll be doing that sometime soon....started PBing it Monday night

Comment

I had the same problem a couple of year ago. Cut it of similar to your method...only took a couple of minutes by hand. I saw the cage nut spinning inside and no room to ge any device in there to hold it so I took a punch and knocke it thru.

I was able to get aserrated flanged nut up thru the hole in the frame. It stayed in place as I tightened the new bolt.

Caution..make sure the the new bolt is the right grade....I think the minimum grade required is 10.8 or better. Someone please double check me!!!
          Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
          The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Originally posted by jglutz View Post
            Caution..make sure the the new bolt is the right grade....I think the minimum grade required is 10.8 or better. Someone please double check me!!!
            yup, I said that earlier;

"However, it must be Grade 8 (if SAE) or Class 10.9 (if metric), for both the bolt AND nut."
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Been there more than once ! Dont want to go back soon.
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I know this allstarted with Ogrestiva's problem, but I have something similar so I'm resuscitating the thread.

I'm unlucky enough to have the *bleeped* wishbone bolt loose! Having had an accident where a guy hit the wheel at an angle with the front corner of his car didn't make it any better.

Now I'm in a mess because the nut is jammed on the bolt and the nut and bolt rotate together - also either the holes through which the bolt passes are loose or else a groove is worn in the bolt - this because when I had the car on jackstands the wishbone can be moved to the left and right of the car bout 5mm and the bolt moves with it! This obviously results in some rather "interesting" steering properties!

Anyway, this can be solved using the techniques mentioned in the thread and some other fiddling - but I have two questions.

1: What are the length and diameter (metric) of the bolt in question? I need to know because I have to do this in a weekend and the local stores are closed then... which makes a dismantle-measure-buy impossible. Anyone have one of these bolts lying around and can measure it for me?

2: Is the inner bush of the wishbone replaceable so that if yes I'll buy a set and do those while the car is jacked?

As usual all your help is appreciated!

Comment

come barrow oxy acetyliene torch if you need

Comment

i think my BP festiva is going to be needing ball joints soon and i'm dreading the day i have to change them

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Thanks for the offer Hot Wheels - but travelling a few thousand miles for a torch isn't exactly sane when there's a MAG welder at home....

Anyone has come up with a size for the bolt?

Comment

Working...
                      X