timeing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timeing question

i searched but could not find any thing on timeing... so heres my question im wondering whats the best way to get the timeing right with the head completly off? which mark on the top pulley needs to be lined up with the one on the lower pulley? i did a engine swap and swapped heads and didnt think of checking it before i took them off... this is probably a stupid question for most but i dont know anything about the timeing
    93 GL Auto black 183,000 miles
    93 astro maroon 210,000 miles
    90 dakota 5 spd blue 212,000
    02 acura tl type S blue 121,000
    05 Tahoe Z71 BLK 89,000

Man, I'm gonna need to know the same thing....my engine is in pieces at the moment while I wait for the gasket set to come in. Not looking forward to putting it all back together!
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

On the face of the head pully there are two stamped lines 90° apart. At TDC they sould be at the 12 and 3 o'clock positions, Alligning with marks cast in the cylinder head.

The crankshaft pully has a notch that lines up at 12 o'clock with a mark on the oil pump casting.

From experience and other previous post....I know their are head pullies out there that are stamped a tooth out. Do not be suprised if you have to rotate the dist all the way in one direction to get the car to idle. If so...move the timing belt one tooth in the direction you had to move the dist. This will bring the dist back to a normal position.

PLEASE...anyone...please chime in if you can explain this marking problem better.
      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

I just did a search and got a lot of good info. If you couldn't find anything it may be because you spelled timing wrong.....take out the "e"
        "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Out of curiosity I checked the markings you were talking about jglutz....you are absolutely correct and your explanation makes perfect sense. Helps me a lot!

Comment

See what happens when you take the time to spell check yourself? You find what you are looking for. Good job lane!! You made a great point. Hhehehe
            90 Festiva with Brand new B3, 5spd
            92 B6 Festiva, 5spd
            94 Mustang DSS 331, Vortec S-Trim, 5 spd
            94 Mustang GT, stock, automatic

Comment

ok so i got my head gasket today and got it put back together enough to see if shed fire and sure enough kinda to my suprise it did i was a lil skeptikel jus cause of the LIL mess i had i thought i would have for sure forgotten one simple lil thing or something but shes sounding pretty good so far atleast alot better then the old motor... now all i have to do is try & finish with the freakin pedals oh i forgot to say im doing auto to manual swap as well.. (FUN) not.... and thanks for the info jglutz it was a big help i appreciate it
              93 GL Auto black 183,000 miles
              93 astro maroon 210,000 miles
              90 dakota 5 spd blue 212,000
              02 acura tl type S blue 121,000
              05 Tahoe Z71 BLK 89,000

Comment

Working...
              X